aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
So, to the staff, @Nifty-Chicken @MattW , et al, was just adding some media and noticed this:
BYC pic limits 6-3-17.jpg
I was amazed, no flabbergasted, at the 10MB file size limit.
That's ridiculously huge!!
Maybe it's just my old school attitude/habits regarding computer usage (I used to work with DOS on VAX and had dialup for years) as well as a general awareness of just not wasting things, like server space......and tho I don't have a mobile device, my daughter does and data limits/costs can be restrictive...and er, costly, so I must be mindful about pic files I email to her.

I am still in the habit of editing photos for lighting... and file size. I see no reason for an online pic to be bigger than 1k x 1k pixels nor more than 500kb( yes, half a single MG) file size.
Glad there is an automatic resizing feature on this forum now(not sure there was before)..but still.

And to other members who love pics......
I love pics too, they speak a thousand words, but I can pick just a few pics to post.....no need for dozens.
OK, old curmudgeoness rant :old overandout.
Ignore it or sigh with gratitude that someone understands.

Now, serious question, probably easily answered by staff.
What are the ultimate(maximum) pixel x pixel parameters for avatars and article cover pics?
TIA

We are always trying to find the perfect balance between user experience and features. The problem is a tricky one with millions of site visitors that all have different use cases.

We auto resize all pics on upload, so it's pretty much impossible for a jpg to ever be much more than 1mb.

The 10 MB limit is more for pdf, zip, etc. files.

We are always trying to find the perfect balance between user experience and features. The problem is a tricky one with millions of site visitors that all have different use cases.

We auto resize all pics on upload, so it's pretty much impossible for a jpg to ever be much more than 1mb.

The 10 MB limit is more for pdf, zip, etc. files.
Ahhh, that's good!

So any insight on my other question??
Now, serious question, probably easily answered by staff.
What are the ultimate(maximum) pixel x pixel parameters for avatars and article cover pics?
TIA

Hmmm... I don't know for sure about avatars... I think 200x200 max.

Article cover pics: 350 × 225
Thanks.
It's very odd, several different image management techniques/paths seem to accommodate different proportions of image size..some seem to crop them and others do not.
Haven't had the patience to examine them all enough to finger it out, smooth functionality of site(or maybe my computer) varies too wildly to stick with for long.

Back
Top Bottom