Imagination run amok....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by navasima, Dec 23, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    At some point soon I will have little Cot hatchlings under my care. I keep reading stories about escapees and am really concerned that I have to make my brooder of bricks to prevent this! I have a mental image now of birds the size of tiny mice popping out whenever I open the lid which around here = doggie snack! [​IMG] Lots of folks seem to use large tub brooders with great success, but is that only for a short while? How high does it have to be to avoid "pop corn" chicks? Should I just set up with an enclosure that opens from the front?

Okay - I might overthink things on occasion......

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Here are some pics of brooders I have.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=601102&p=13

Instead
    of height, think secure top. unless you have your brooder on a shelf...IMO, a front door opening would be a big inconvenience to try to clean, water, feed, and catch the chicks...

good luck!

edited to add photo of yet another type of brooder. This one is 16"x36"x12"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    mine only escape when my wife or son forget to put the screen lid back on, I use a setup similar to bfrancis, they only escape of you dont do your part to keep them in, they never even tried to jump out until they were 2 weeks old, then they were like little basketball players lol

4. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thanks!

5. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I didnt see the second part of your question about how long they can be in the brooder, really as long as you want, if you wanted to keep a breeding set in there with a male to a 3-5 females in a decent sized tote you could, the good thing about Coturnix quail is they are not great flyers ( dont badger me on that one guys they dont fly as good as bobs lol )

I have had Coturnix get out of their outside cages when I open the door and they usually hit the ground and start looking for bugs and digging, I dont keep a ton of them so the ones I do have are used to seeing me around so they are not really scared of me at all, when I have one of my adults get loose I can just walk up and grab them with minimal effort. If you had several hundred that dont have your hand in their cages every day then they might be a little more flighty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by