Immediate crisis, abandoned egg, please help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dona Worry, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    I have an egg, due to hatch. I can hear the chick moving and chirping, but the hen has abandoned the nest. I do not have nor can I procure an incubator, what can I do??? The rest of the chicks hatched yesterday and mom seems preoccupied with them and not inclined to take care of this one

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    Heating pad + damp towel???

Naser, Fluffnut, Norma_Lorp and 11 others like this.
  3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    Right now I literally have this egg shoved down my bra what am I going to do???

4. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    heating pad with a damp towel should work, you will have to watch it closely though so it doesn't get to hot

5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    Egg is moving and chirping, guys what do I DO

6. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    put heating pad an low with damp towel box with just a regular lamp in the bathroom turn on the shower, and let her hatch, I had 1 that hatched 2 days after momma left the nest as I checked the eggs before tossing them and one was just late, took me almost a week to get the hen to accept her though

7. microchick

microchick Crossing the Road

I agree heating pad with the egg sitting on damp paper towels. If you have a small styrofoam cooler you maybe could put the pad in the cooler where it will contain the heat. If you have a thermometer on hand you can put it in with the heating pad to monitor the temp. put the lid on loosely for air circulation and wait. Baby is viable if it is peeping. Keep an eye on the temp. Should be around 99.5-100 degrees and you want to keep the humidity up during hatch. Once baby hatches and dries, sneak him or her back under mom. She will not notice an extra chick if she is sitting on her own brood.

Good luck!

8. I agree with the bra, I have heard it successful due to the chick hearing the human heartbeat, and the similarity to dampness and humidity. And temperature try that!

9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Heating pad should work but You have to make sure the heating pad does not get too hot.
    I would not put the egg on anything wet.

10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    I don't know how long the egg was abandoned. It was cold to the touch.
    How long after they cheap do they come out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: