Immediate crisis, abandoned egg, please help

Update:
View attachment 1883852
I can't find a heating pad, the egg is actively hatching, so I literally put the egg on warm damp paper towels in a Christmas box and shoved it into a car. It's hot today, but not unbearably so, and a car with the windows rolled down is hot but not horrible.
So that's the plan for now. I stuck a thermometer next to the box so I can monitor the temperature.
I think your MacGyverism is amazing!!!....you are doing GREAT! Keep us updated...hoping for a happy, healthy sweetie soon for you!

I just had a hen hatch two of three eggs and get off the nest with the two chicks. I rescued the third egg and plopped it under another broody until it hatched. The surrogate broody rejected it one day after it hatched. While the original mom was sitting on her two 24+hours old babies I gently tucked the new baby under her wing. She chirped at it, raised her wing like "where did THAT one come from?" and immediately settled back down on her three chicks.

Many try to reintroduce chicks at night while mom can't see what is going on. I would rather try it in broad daylight where I can keep an eye on things and get ready to intervene if it doesn't work out.

I would guess I've had success two out of three times. It's up to the hen when all is said and done.

Update:
View attachment 1883852
I can't find a heating pad, the egg is actively hatching, so I literally put the egg on warm damp paper towels in a Christmas box and shoved it into a car. It's hot today, but not unbearably so, and a car with the windows rolled down is hot but not horrible.
So that's the plan for now. I stuck a thermometer next to the box so I can monitor the temperature.
Resourceful!

Back
Top Bottom