Immune System Trouble in Cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by my sunwolf, Mar 13, 2013.

1. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I just adopted my first Cornish X chicks from the TSC about 2 weeks ago. I didn't even think to quarantine them, I don't know why. So, in they went with some mutts I'd just hatched. A few days after I brought them home, the Cornish started showing signs of a respiratory illness: coughing, sneezing, wheezing. They're still eating and drinking like mad, of course. I have ACV with the mother in their water, and that seems to help their congestion. The main thing I've noticed is that my mutts are showing absolutely no symptoms and continue to breathe easy.

So my question is: Do Cornish X have weaker immune systems than regular chickens?

Just curious. Thanks in advance for any info on the subject!

2. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    Mine tend to sneeze when I had them in the brooder box in the garage with pine shavings. I think the dust from the shavings and their smelly poop bothered them. I cleaned the brooder all the time, but it didn't seem to do much good. I recently moved them to a chain link dog run in the back yard, and have not noticed any sneezing since. They have better air flow, and only have the pine shavings in the dog house inside the run. For the weezing, does it seem worse after they have eaten a whole bunch? I think their size plus the amount of food they eat makes it a little more difficult for them to breath. The cornish are probably just more sensitive to the dust, and odor than the others are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by