Immunizations

beektoria

Chirping
Mar 1, 2009
Everett, Wa
After reading BYC and getting my new chicks last week, I come upon the subject of chick immunizations. I just called the 2 places I got my chicks from and both said their chicks have not been immunized. HELP! What should I do? Can they get that Marek's if they're not immunized?

I am not sure in Mareks has to be given when they are day olds or not. You will find that there are peole who do not get Mareks or anyother vaccinations for that matter. But I do have people around me that have chickens so for me it was peace of mind. You can also get a hold of someone from the Ag. office and see if there is any reported illnesses.

I know that Ideal does not recommend the Marek's vaccine for small backyard flocks. After talking with them and contacting my local county agricultural extension office I decided against the vaccine.

Thank you soooo much! This morning has been never-ending. All I wanted to do was get on the phone and bawl my eyes out to my mom. I am raising my girls organically but this sounded like a must have.

Quote:
It may have sounded like a must have, but it's truly not. Do your research, learn the value of maintaining a closed flock and then decide what's best in your situation.
Your local county cooperative extension agent can tell you whether they've had trouble with Marek's in your area or not.
You can find the phone number of your local cooperative extension office in the gov't. pages (county) in your phone book.

Back
Top Bottom