impacted crop? Chicken vomiting

hopermorgan

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
Hello,
I have a 12 week old Naked Neck hen with what I'm thinking may be an impacted crop. Last Tuesday I found she had a huge swollen chest. It didn't feel hard, it felt squishy and balloon-like. She was acting normal, eating, pecking, etc. Took her to the vet on Wednesday...he's a "country vet" - old school, nothing fancy, who raised chickens for many years. He said it wasn't impacted and that nothing was wrong with her...just to keep an eye on her. Her stool was completely normal and he said she looked very healthy. She was unchanged on Saturday, so gave her some bread soaked in olive oil. I was massaging her crop and she started vomiting. It was just her feed...didn't smell like anything - not sour at all. The crop went down a little, but next day it was back to being huge. Yesterday I isolated her and her stools were normal. Today I picked her up and she started vomiting immediately when I touched her crop. After she vomited, she went to her feed and started eating. She isn't acting any different than normal, but I'm very worried (I'm a newbie to chickens). When you feel her crop all I can feel is a lot of grit...could this be causing a blockage? I've read the thread about doing home surgery, but being inexperienced, I don't think I'm up to that. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't seem to find much about the vomiting. Her crop has never felt hard...it is always fluid-like or gassy. No smell at all. When I looked at her today she looked like she had some vomit on her beak, so I was thinking she may even be vomiting when I'm not massaging her crop. Help!

I really don't know anything about blocked crops, besides what I've read. From what I do know, that's what it sounds like. Hope someone with more experience can help!

Back
Top Bottom