Impacted crop in 7 week old chick

lucy12132

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2022
Hi everyone,
I would really like some advice on my 7 week old chick. I've been letting all my chicks out in the garden during the for the last couple of weeks. I have noticed one of the chicks is a little depressed (?) looking sometimes however most of the time she's still pretty active and eating and drinking normally from what I can see.
But tonight I was taking them all into their little sleeping area and she came to sit with me and I noticed her crop was quite hard. When I felt the other chicks crops theirs all felt rather mushy.
Does this chick have an impacted crop???
Or is it just because it's the end of the dya and she's just eaten more than the others?
Thank you for help in advance!

Crops should feel empty in early morning after sleeping all night. Feel of it in early morning before they have access to food or water. Do you have granite chick grit available for them to help grind up grasses, bugs, and food other an chick feed? Make sure the chick is drinking plenty of water. If the crop is still full and hard in morning, try the coconut oil, chilled and cut into small pieces to peck. Then massage the crop several times a day, and recheck it the next morning.

Back
Top Bottom