Impacted crop - massage with olive oil?

zengrrl

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Oakland County, MI
I've read a bit on this but I'm still confused. My silkie has an impacted crop, and I'm not sure what to do. Massage with oil? Feed olive oil and massage the neck?

Quote:
You want the bird to ingest easy foods-I use scrambled eggs SATURATED in oil...bird eats it and gets oil down its throat without me having to force it in. wait about 10 minutes after they eat and then gently massage their crop for about 15 in all directions-but especially at the lowest part of crop where the blockage could be-It has worked for me everytime!

Is the crop mushy or hard? Mushy is sour crop and hard is impacted crop, basically. If impacted, don't use oil, not good for their system, you want to hydrate the contents with water, then massage the crop, you need to loosen the contents so it can pass (be gentle). Better than water, layer feed broth so it can get some nutrients while you work on it. It may take more than one try, try it again the next day if the poop doesn't start to come out thick. They usually only squirt while impacted.

Quote:
why would you say this-Don't use oil? I have great results with it-I only do it once or twice and the bird is totally fine afterwards. I have researched this over and over and all the information I find on it refers to using oil. They get nutrients in the egg. I see a bird eating up the eggs alot more willingly than food broth-and all though water is a lubricant of sorts the oil is faster with moving the impaction down.

Well the scrambled egg with veg oil went over very well. I tried that as its stuff I already had on hand. Its def not sour crop yet, its like a ball of seed inside the skin. She'd been like that for at least a few days before I figured out what it was and what do to so thanks. Went I set her down she pooped so maybe thats a good sign, or just that chickens poo alot. Def something to put in the trick o cards book. I swear if it weren't for this site, all my birds would be dead. Thanks all.

Quote:
why would you say this-Don't use oil? I have great results with it-I only do it once or twice and the bird is totally fine afterwards. I have researched this over and over and all the information I find on it refers to using oil. They get nutrients in the egg. I see a bird eating up the eggs alot more willingly than food broth-and all though water is a lubricant of sorts the oil is faster with moving the impaction down.

An avian vet told me never to use oil.

Also adding more food to an already impacted crop can impound the problem. A more serious case of blockage, more food would made it worse.

Last edited:
Quote:

Also adding more food to an already impacted crop can impound the problem. A more serious case of blockage, more food would made it worse.

Using food that had enzymes and natural proteins that can help break up the packed crop is a good thing. It's like us eating prunes and taking laxatives for constipation. Some people use oils, like castor oil for remedies. If the crop is impacted and stuck it needs to be moved through and the hen is not receiving nutrients, using oil and eggs will get nutrients to the hen, get the juices flowing and help move things through. I am sure your vet is a smart cookie but every vet and human doctor has their own personal ideas and beliefs on what works and what doesn't. I wouldn't put this on the back burner just because 1 vet said not to.

Quote:

Using food that had enzymes and natural proteins that can help break up the packed crop is a good thing. It's like us eating prunes and taking laxatives for constipation. Some people use oils, like castor oil for remedies. If the crop is impacted and stuck it needs to be moved through and the hen is not receiving nutrients, using oil and eggs will get nutrients to the hen, get the juices flowing and help move things through. I am sure your vet is a smart cookie but every vet and human doctor has their own personal ideas and beliefs on what works and what doesn't. I wouldn't put this on the back burner just because 1 vet said not to.

Good comparison
thumbsup.gif

Blockages are mechanical and chemicals will not help, that is the reason for massaging. One is trying to suspend the blockage (mechanical) so it can pass, what is more natural to do this with, but with water. Drenching amounts of oil is just not natural to the birds regular diet, verses water. Maybe you should ask an AVIAN vet. Sure there are vets that work on birds, a real avian vet requires a board certification and one would never tell you to use oil. I had a regular vet almost kill my cockatoo from an OD. Birds take different care than other mammals.

Quote:
There no reason to argue..you are settled on your opinion based on what your avian vet told you..and it makes sense to you..We are settled on our opinion and our methods based on our experience and research with the help of my avian vet. End of story..the OP and everyone else can take either of our opinions and put them to good use.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom