Impacted Crop?? Need more advice.

smile.png
I'm so glad your girl recovered.

My girl I'm afraid is going to have to have surgery-- she's going in tomorrow! Wish us luck and lots of prayers please... she's my baby!

Fishermom: Thanks for asking. She actually seems better now but shortly after this post, she became impacted again so apparently I didnt wait for all of it to get out. I did all the same things as the first time but this time, her crop emptied and then started to fill up with some kind of fluid/gas, not sure what. It got very large and swollen. Her breath was still a little stinky so I was still assuming sour crop. I dont have a vet locally where I can get antifungal meds so I treated her with an antibacterial/antiviral/antifungal product called Oxydrops made by Nzymes. I have used this before for different applications and it always worked well for me. Along with the Oxydrops, I gave only a handful of crumbles 2-3 times a day, not much at all. Within 2 days, her crop started deflating. I treated for only 3 days and her crop was finally flat. I gave her some good meals, some vitamin water and put her back in the coop another day or 2 later. So far she has been great. She now looks better than any of the other hens.

Thanks for responding!

Glad to hear that she beat it TWICE. Also glad of the warning to not assume her crop is clear too soon.
Today our Crystal is so much better!
smile.png
Her crop was hard last night, but is significantly smaller and softer now.
She LOVES yogurt and spinach, and I have massaged it a few times as well.
wink.png
I also put some ACV in her water. She even roosted in the dog crate last night. What I need to decide is if I should start her on antibiotics now that it is clearing up, or I am wondering if the yogurt will clear any bacteria in her crop up.

I am going to start a thread asking opinions on this. THis is my first chicken and if I can get away with NO antibiotics, than I am all for that!

Back
Top Bottom