Impacted crop on 2-day-old silkie?

shirauo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
One of our chicks- a 2-day old silkie is periodically opening & closing its mouth (as tho gasping for air) and when I just held her, I could see chick feed in her mouth. I'm wondering if she has an impacted crop...

They are on pine shavings under a broody mama hen (yay! it worked!). I've heard of pine shavings sometimes causing a problem with the chicks pecking at it- but have never had troubles with the 4 previous broods of chicks on pine shavings as litter and the other chicks are ok. (maybe she was just silly enough to try eating them... or too much).

I've had hens with impacted crops and have even done the surgery , but this chick is so TEENY (even smaller than standard chicks, that I'm having trouble even FINDING her crop! I tried massaging her throat & working my way done to the breastbone and on either side, but don't really feel her crop. Or maybe it's just a genetic abnormality that has her windpipe smaller? I don't know- but I'm wondering if you have any suggestions or if there is anything I can do. I've already offered her sweetened, soaked mushy feed (in response to a chilly night when she wasn't under the hen for a little while)

OF COURSE this chick is the kids' favorite... Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom