Impacted Crop... PLEASE HELP

i just tubed him using a piece of hose from my nebulizer and a large TS syringe... used the baking soda and water... nothing happened. i tried it 4 times... maybe i didnt use a long enough length.. i used about 7-8 inches of tube, it was in a few inches... there was alot of water on the towel... but im sure i got some in once, i thought i killed him, but he came around, i tried to work it up, it is a large mass of grass... its not budging... i feel helpless. he is so strong, still holding on... i think im having my boyfriend put him down when he gets home tonight, i cant watch him suffer any longer. should we try cutting him? ive read so many conflicting things on here.. some say its easy, some say dont do it.. some say superglue, hes dying. what to do. im going to go buy a childs ear syringe and try that, but im pretty convinced this thing is not coming up.
i would try it again,if the grass was long,it will be tied up almost in a knot. He sounds like a strong boy. I don't know about surgery,is a vet an option? Tubing is in correct spot,back of throat large opening leading to esophagus,smaller hole is windpipe avoid.

Last edited:
vet not an option. i dont have the money. he's gonna die. its either put him down or try the cut method... im going to tube him again at some point today. this grass knot is oblong now, about the size of a smushy oblong baseball, i dont see how it would pass through his trachea? or whatever it has to pass through to come up.

vet not an option. i dont have the money. he's gonna die. its either put him down or try the cut method... im going to tube him again at some point today. this grass knot is oblong now, about the size of a smushy oblong baseball, i dont see how it would pass through his trachea? or whatever it has to pass through to come up.
Hopeful that it will come up a bit at a time. Problem is trying to break up this twine. Can you feel it loosening at all? I really hope this works,you have been doing everything possible for your boy. He seems to be a fighter. Please keep posting updates.

Okay, i am going to try my best here, because i have also had this issue, although it sounds like your rooster has been in this state for longer than mine was when i found her. Just feed him oil, water and massage him. Unfortunatly, its all you can do besides surgery. I'm sorry I can't help anymore than this. Electrolyes in the water will help a great deal too. You can get them at a local feed store. Ever heard of Sav-a-Chick? Ask for that too.

The trachea is at the back of the tongue and goes into the lungs.

Last edited:
I really hate to say this, but he is going to die if he does not get properly hydrated *very* soon. How long has it been since he hasn't had anything to drink?

One last comment... the tube you use should be long enough to to reach the bottom of the crop and no water should come out of his mouth while you're tubing.
FYI, a 2.2 pound chicken would get 30ml (cc) of fluid every 6-8 hours.

im going to go tube him again w/ a longer tube. if it doesnt work, im cutting him later today when my boyfriend gets home. i have to try. if i dont hes being put down today anyway. i will read and get everything i can ready, im only worried about closing it back up. if he appears to be suffering i will step away and have him put down right then. this sucks. im going to try the tube again right now.

Back
Top Bottom