Impacted Crop Surgery/Recovery

LisaC87

In the Brooder
May 10, 2022
Hi. I have a 9 month old Olive Egger hen who just had surgery on her impacted crop. It had been impacted for about a week and a half. I tried everything I could to get it to move prior to considering surgery and once I was able to find someone to do it probably too much time had passed. The farm vet that did it has done it a handful of times before but didn't have much aftercare advice for me. Currently I have my hen in my home with only plain water and a nesting pad in her bin. Although the vet didn't have much to say about aftercare, I did ask about antibiotics and she advised against them. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Soft food or no food for a period of time? Antibiotics or none? Probiotics? Thank you in advance

Hi. I have a 9 month old Olive Egger hen who just had surgery on her impacted crop. It had been impacted for about a week and a half. I tried everything I could to get it to move prior to considering surgery and once I was able to find someone to do it probably too much time had passed. The farm vet that did it has done it a handful of times before but didn't have much aftercare advice for me. Currently I have my hen in my home with only plain water and a nesting pad in her bin. Although the vet didn't have much to say about aftercare, I did ask about antibiotics and she advised against them. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Soft food or no food for a period of time? Antibiotics or none? Probiotics? Thank you in advance
Sorry to hear about your girl. I am not a vet and have never had bird undergo crop surgery but I am very surprised the vet didn't suggest antibiotics to help prevent infection...

Here is a "case study" from someone who did the procedure including what they did afterwards. Hope it helps and hope your girl makes a full recovery.
https://bitchinchickens.com/2021/02/18/case-study-impacted-crop-surgery/comment-page-1/

Back
Top Bottom