Impacted Crop Update- (was: Molting or something else going on?)

Firefly

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Connecticut
I hope someone here can help, I've been searching this forum and the net and haven't been able to find any definite answers. My almost 1 year old RIR started what I thought was molting a couple of weeks ago. I have checked and checked her for mites, but can't find any evidence of any.

She has a lot of feather loss, predominantly on her chest area, which appears swollen-- but she stays "poofed out" a lot as if she's cold, so it's hard to tell. There are a lot of pin feathers coming in. This morning I noticed she actually has a small, baby-pea sized scab in one of the bare patches. She just generally looks miserable, poor thing!! The other four RIRs that are the same exact age (I got them all together) all seem perfectly fine.

Two other things I wanted to mention. This morning when I was observing her in the run, in the space of about 5 minutes she had two watery, light brown poops. And, compared to the other girls, her comb is smaller, paler, overall a little more shriveled-looking than the others. (It wasn't always this way-- she was the first to get her comb and it was nice and big, red.)

So, can anyone here help me solve this mystery?? This is my first time with chickens and first molt I've seen, so I'm just not sure if this is all normal or if there is something else going on. I do not have a chicken vet in my area, so I am at a loss.

Thanks so much for any feedback you might have!

Kelli

Last edited:
If she has a scab she has been pecked until a sore was created most likely by your other chickens. Separate her out so she has a place where she can't be picked and pecked by the others. A small cage in the same hen house would work fine if you don't have another place for her. Make sure she is warm - use a heat lamp, make sure she is getting enough to eat, add protein to her diet, chopped boiled eggs, cooked white rice and yogurt are a good combo, black oil sunflower seeds, a bit of kitty kibble, etc. You can add apple cidar vinegar to the water for a boost or by a product like avia charge or an infants liquid vitamin.

If it were just missing feathers I wouldn't be too worried but if she is puffed up that is a good indication something else is going on.

Keep us updated on her condition.

Thank you Miss Prissy! Do you think it's possible she nicked herself while preening? For the meantime I will separate her and let her out supervised so I can see for sure if she's being pecked by the others. I'll also follow your instructions regarding the kitty kibble and ACV.

I will post updates on how she's progressing. Thanks again!

Kelli

i picked up some barred rocks yesturday,,,,i am worried about that also,,,molting or something else,,,now there are 3 breeds, and a total of 8 birds,,,and just the barred rocks are bald on their butts under side,,,and around their necks are the plastic stem end of feather type stuff,,,is that molting???? and if so,,,why in the world would a bird do such a thing in new england in march,,? this is no time to take of your jacket,,,,
and why is it only the one breed among this group that grew up together?
and if not a molt then what,,,?
are there pics anywhere we can look at of close up molting?

Thanks so much for the link to the pics, MissPrissy. After seeing them I'm not sure she is moulting after all... her crop is hugely swollen-- like the size of a grapefruit. I thought perhaps it was because the skin was irritated, but I didn't notice swollen chests in any of the hens in those pics.

I don't think her crop is impacted-- it feels soft and squishy to the touch, not at all hard. I will continue to monitor and see if I can figure out what is going on. Thanks again!

Kelli

Well, after doing more research and further examination of my hen (Becky
smile.png
), I now am suspecting either a sour or impacted crop. I am thinking sour since it is very squishy and not at all hard. Unfortunately though, from what I've been reading, at this stage it might be too late to do anything for her. This afternoon I gave her a few massages, and fed her some live culture yogurt. I also tried to get some ACV down her but she disliked that very much! She did gobble down a piece of bread soaked in mineral oil. I've separated her from the rest of the girls and will continue to monitor her.

You mioght try to with hold her feed but make sure she has water for 4 - 6 hours and see if the crop gets smaller which will indicate it is emptying out.

This morning I was massaging her crop and she threw up (if chickens can do such a thing!) a huge amount of clear gelatinous liquid along with undigested long pieces of hay.
sad.png
She must have been pilfering from the barn. She seemed quite weak afterwards, so I am leaving her to rest for a while, but will try to help her get more up later. I am feeling more and more though that things don't look good for her.
hit.gif

Thank you so much for your kindness in trying to help me figure this out, MissPrissy-- I really appreciate it.

Kelli

If she threw up you might very well be dealing with an impacted crop. Do a search here on the forum. There are several very good posts on crop issues and a graphic one on the surgery to correct an impacted crop.

Back
Top Bottom