Impacted crop? Yellow fluid from vent? Please help!

Dawnica

Chirping
Aug 13, 2015
We have had chickens for less than a year, and have never had a sick hen. Injuries, yes, but never anyone sick.

My son's 10 mo. old Black Australorp appeared to have an impacted crop last night. We were just putting the girls in for the night and her crop was HUGE. It was a baseball sized hard lump. It was getting dark and I didn't yet know what to do, so I let her sleep with everyone else and went inside to research. I read many, many posts and articles here and prepared to spend the next few days fixing the problem.

Just as they were waking up in the morning I put "Aussie" in a dog crate next to the run with water but no food.
Once it was light I examined her more closely. Her crop felt completely empty! The skin over it is a little pinkish, but she certainly is acting fine, and was last night also. She pooped a few times and it was normal, but maybe smallish.
A few hours later there was a very watery poop.

I'm sure that a small impaction can clear on it's own, but she was plumb full last night. Maybe did she just gorge herself more than usual yesterday and wasn't really impacted at all?

Someone said in one of the threads I read that scratch is bad for chickens and can cause impactions. I do feed scratch in the evening, mixed with some additional black oil sunflower seeds. I have never heard anyone say that scratch is bad before.

I feed Rooster Booster high protein layer pellets (because someone decided to molt in the dead of winter, so I switched to it in December to help her through), free choice oyster shell mixed with ground up eggshells, they get a little scratch each evening, sometimes a treat of a few pieces of cat food (chicken is their favorite flavor
sickbyc.gif
), and they get out to free-range most afternoons for about 3-4 hours. They have some grit mixed in with their pellets, and they also spend a lot of time in the gravel driveway and picking up the pea grit from the road.

We have 6 hens, and usually get 5 or 6 eggs each day, but only 4 the last few days. Maybe Aussie isn't laying? I understand a stuck egg can block her up, but her crop is empty now and she is kind of pooping, so I don't think that is likely. I will watch for an egg today now that she is separate.

I want to know if she is ok to put back with everyone else, or if I should offer her some soggy pellets, baby food, and/or yogurt until everything is moving nicely. Should I go ahead and give some ACV? What about olive oil? I hear mixed messages about olive oil. I also wonder about coconut oil. Coconut oil is anti-fungal and antibacterial, so it should help if things start to get sour in there AND give calories and lubrication like the olive oil. Why don't people talk about that as an option?

Thank you so much for helping!

I just checked on her again. Her water is down a little, so I think she is drinking. No more poop of any kind.
I wrapped her in a towel so I could lay her on her back to have a look at her undercarriage and there are a few drops of bright yellow liquid on and around her vent. What the heck is that!?!?
I was thinking things were fine, now I'm not so sure!
Help!

A chicken's crop should be full at night and empty in the morning.

If she was impacted, her crop would still be full.

As for the yellow poops, watch her for signs of hunching, puffing, walking like a penguin, straining to pass something, or going off food and water.

In the meantime, just observe. If she's alert and eating and drinking normally, she's probably okay. :)

MrsB

Thanks! That's about what I was thinking, but though maybe there was something I don't know.

No egg today, and no more poops, but she also hasn't eaten all day, so she doesn't have anything to make poop out of. Her water is definitely lower, and none spilled, so that's good. Also, I just gave her a little pellets with some water, both to make it softer (just in case) and to get more water in the hen. She ate it right up. I think if she seems completely normal then I will put her back with everyone else tonight.

Should I worry about letting her free-range since she is probably pretty hungry right now? I would hate for her to eat too much and actually end up impacted! I can picture her scarfing down anything that will fit!

Much ado about nothing, I guess! That's better than the other way around, though.

It was so shocking to see her chest ballooned out last night. It was a big bald red ball.

A little bit ago she ate, then layed an egg. So I put her back in with everyone else. I'll keep an eye on her, and don't plan on letting them out to forage tonight. I think she will be back on the normal schedule tomorrow.

Thank you!
She was honestly probably perfectly fine by that morning, but I panicked anyway... You would never know that I once stayed calm whilst sewing the skin back over the breastbone of one of our hens! I guess everyone is allowed a little overreaction once in awhile. I wish I had gotten a picture the night before. I know about the crop and how it works, but had never seen anything like that! I'm sure it's fairly normal, but since she is the skinniest hen we have it just showed up more prominently. I suppose she gorged herself a bit that day.
We have gotten 6 eggs from our 6 hens every day since, so whatever the problem was (or wasn't!) is over!

A chicken's crop should be full at night and empty in the morning.

If she was impacted, her crop would still be full.

As for the yellow poops, watch her for signs of hunching, puffing, walking like a penguin, straining to pass something, or going off food and water.

In the meantime, just observe. If she's alert and eating and drinking normally, she's probably okay. :)

MrsB

Hi! My chicken is doing yellow poop/discharge. Puffing, walking like a penguin, and off food and water. What does this mean? THANK YOU!

Back
Top Bottom