Impacted Crop?

Taylermartin

Chirping
Sep 25, 2021
Last week I had a chicken pass away due to impacted crop that burst.
I'm not sure if I a paranoid now but I was looking at my Orpington and she is looking large in the chest. I felt her crop which is full and it doesn't have much give when I push on it. I felt the other chickens and theirs are full too but not as big as hers. I am wondering if I should do home remedies first or if I should take her straight to the vet? Should I wait until morning to see if it empties? When I was holding her she opened her mouth and I did not smell anything sour or smelly. What would it smell like if it were sour crop? Her personality hasn't changed and she is still running around eating and drinking.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, it should be empty. If it's not then let us know. This article will be helpful to you as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It's not uncommon for a hen's crop to look and feel full when she goes to roost or to even look and feel full during the day when she's been eating/drinking. The truest way to gauge function is to feel of it after she's had a full night's sleep.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, it should be empty. If it's not then let us know. This article will be helpful to you as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It's not uncommon for a hen's crop to look and feel full when she goes to roost or to even look and feel full during the day when she's been eating/drinking. The truest way to gauge function is to feel of it after she's had a full night's sleep.
I checked her this morning, I am a little shocked that it felt completely empty.
She is one of my smaller girls and she had the fullest crop (size of a large egg) when I check before going to bed.
Is checking their crops each night mandatory?
I want to be safe, my last week was pretty traumatic.

I checked her this morning, I am a little shocked that it felt completely empty.
She is one of my smaller girls and she had the fullest crop (size of a large egg) when I check before going to bed.
Is checking their crops each night mandatory?
I want to be safe, my last week was pretty traumatic.
It's a good habit to check crops in the morning to make sure they are emptying overnight.
I usually do it about once a week, but I do try to take note of each bird daily (how they are acting, watch them eat/drink, move around, etc.) to try to keep on top of things. I've found that each bird has their own little ways or quirks, so the more you make a mental note of how each one "acts" the better you have the potential to spot a problem arising. They are very good at hiding ailments, so if you do miss something don't beat yourself up.

Back
Top Bottom