Impacted crop?

Slg140

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 4, 2017
I have a 4 day old chick that I’m worried has an impacted crop. I’ve taken away food over night and it is slightly smaller in the morning but not by much. She is eating and drinking, acting normal. But I don’t understand what she could be impacted with.
Her crop was empty when I got her, I made sure. She’s on paper towels, not wood shavings. She’s had nothing but started crumble. The heater is at the right temp and everything.

I have a 4 day old chick that I’m worried has an impacted crop. I’ve taken away food over night and it is slightly smaller in the morning but not by much. She is eating and drinking, acting normal. But I don’t understand what she could be impacted with.
Her crop was empty when I got her, I made sure. She’s on paper towels, not wood shavings. She’s had nothing but started crumble. The heater is at the right temp and everything.
She's sleeping in the dark all night with no access to food or water right? You are checking in the morning before she eats or drinks right?

I would re-check again first thing to see if it's emptied.

Photos of the brooder and chick are always welcome.

She's sleeping in the dark all night with no access to food or water right? You are checking in the morning before she eats or drinks right?

I would re-check again first thing to see if it's emptied.

Photos of the brooder and chick are always welcome.
She is sleeping in the dark all night. We have an eco glow. I have taken away water two night in a row and both mornings her crop has been full. She still eats and drinks and acts normal.

She is sleeping in the dark all night. We have an eco glow. I have taken away water two night in a row and both mornings her crop has been full. She still eats and drinks and acts normal.
I would give her the coconut oil, give a light massage to the crop. Does it feel rock hard or doughy?
If she's drinking and eating/pooping regularly, then something is getting through. Is the poop normal or very thin, does she struggle going?

I massaged a little bit yesterday and her cop was empty this morning! Come to think of it I’ve had this happen with a couple chicks before, maybe the first time they eat food it take a little longer to digest?

does she have treats, if so, does she have access to chick grit? Or is she just on starter crumb?

Have you seen her pooping? If her crop definitely isn't emptying over night, you could try feeling her crop, is it hard or squishy? You could massage the area gently, if it is hard and full. As Wyorp Rock suggested, cononut oil could also help

I massaged a little bit yesterday and her cop was empty this morning! Come to think of it I’ve had this happen with a couple chicks before, maybe the first time they eat food it take a little longer to digest?
Oh okay! That's good then. Perhaps she stuffed her crop a little too full- and the massage might have just helped it pass through. I don't know much about chicks, but with my ducklings I gave them food and water overnight when they were very young, and then always water over night ever since. 24/7 food means they aren't so likely to stuff their crops too full in the morning-but this was with ducklings, I don't know if the same is reccomended for chicks.

That's good news that her crop was empty this morning!
I'm sure you will be keeping a close eye on her though. She's a little cutie!

Back
Top Bottom