?impacted crop

5th lake chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
noticed hen had a large bulge on left side of chest 2 days ago. she seemed fine and it did go down some. but today she still is eating but the bulge is large to the left and she is limping on her left leg, I this bulge an impactef crop? It is not in the center but off to the left. I just started feeding my chickens scratch this last weeeK Coincidence or cause? Advice please. Hens are 6 months old? Also made oyster shell available last week because she laid her first egg and the shell was soft. Have not seen another egg from her?

Have a speckled sussex whos crop became impacte/sour grab her and feel area if feels like a ballon is probably sour/impaction of some sort itreated my hen with mineral oil instead of olive or vegetable based as my local farm vet said the latter can be absorbed by the body where mineral oil will lubricate the whole system making whats blocking pass eisier massage area also to help break up more of a neading type massage worked best for me i also vomited my hen but this will be up to you search (how to vomit) here or youtube for info ifought this for 3wks then she got better but reoccurs with her as she is a grass hog!! Goodluck Pete

If you think her crop is impacted, isolate her and with hold all food. Check her in the morning after she has gone all evening and night without food. If she crop is not empty you have a problem. Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
gave her olive oil tonight,thought it would not hurt her and massaged. Mineral oil makes sense , you give it to people with constipation. i'll take the other replies advice too and check her crop in the morning. She's such a nice hen, hope she will be alright.

update on questionable impacted crop
roll.png
I think it is impacted. it remains hard and about the size of a large egg. since yesterday I have kept her by herself with just water and have been feeding her yogurt mixed with applesauce and mineral oil, massaging her crop a few times a day. She is thin and seems quiet,but alert. Is limping some or weak, not sure She is not totally plugged because the water and yogurt are going thru. THe crop did feel slightly less large and hard tonite. One reply said it took 3 weeks to get one unplugged. So I am hopeful I can get her thru this.

thanks, I will take you up on your offer, hoping not to have to go that route. She is getting perkier, I think she was starving . Her poops are more solid so I hope the crop is starting to empty. still hard , but a little smaller I think.

noticed hen had a large bulge on left side of chest 2 days ago. she seemed fine and it did go down some. but today she still is eating but the bulge is large to the left and she is limping on her left leg, I this bulge an impactef crop? It is not in the center but off to the left. I just started feeding my chickens scratch this last weeeK Coincidence or cause? Advice please. Hens are 6 months old? Also made oyster shell available last week because she laid her first egg and the shell was soft. Have not seen another egg from her?

The crop is on the chicken's right side, not the left. If what you are feeling is really on the left, it could be some kind of tumor. If it is a tumor, perhaps it is impinging on the nerve to the left leg, causing weakness.

If the bulge is on the right side of the body, then it may indeed be a partially impacted crop. That combination of crop dilatation and leg weakness sounds like Marek's disease, which affects the nervous system. When it affects the nerve to the crop, the latter fails to fully contract, causing food to accumulate in the crop, and the bird to become malnourished. Marek's disease commonly affects the nerve to a leg or wing, causing weakness. You can find a lot of info about the disease by googling.

the lump is definitely on her left and it is her left leg that she is having problems with. So that would not be the crop? Would Mareks cause a tumor like that? The rest of my chickens are fine. Poor thing I have been massaging a tumor! My husband is gone, I will have to do my first culling if this is a tumor. Could explain why she has been eating like crazy but still thin. Thank you for catching the left comment. Obviously I am new to chickens
hit.gif

LEFT SIDE FACING HEN OR LEFT SIDE HOLDING HEN MAKES A DIFFERENCE!! BE CAREFUL WITH THE MAREKS DIAGNOSIS LOTS OF OTHER CAUSES FOR THIS BEHAVIOR. JUST CULLED A VERY YOUNG BCM ROO THINKING IT WAS MAREKS NOW IM NOT SO SURE AS THE 3 BIRDS HE WAS WITH ARE FINE NOT SAYING IT WASNT MAREKS BUT WITHOUT HAVING A NECROPSY YOU CANT BE SURE ANYWAY. SEPARATE JUST IN CASE AND EXHAUST ALL OTHER OPTIONS FIRST. WHEN I SUGGESTED THE MINERAL OIL FORGOT TO INCLUDE INSTRUCTIONS---- 10CC IN A SYRINGE FED ORAL LITTLE AT A TIME WILL REQUIRE 2 PEOPLE AND A TOWEL TO HOLD HER THEY DONT LIKE IT!!! PINCH BEAK AT VERY BACK NOT HARD BUT ENOUGH TO OPEN AND LET HER BITE YOUR FINGER TO HOLD IT OPEN LITTLE AT ATIME SO SHE CAN SWALLOW IT NORMALLY DID THIS ONCE A AY FOR 3 DAYS ANDMY HEN FINALLY PASSED SOME OF THE BLOCKAGE MASSAGING HELPS TO BREAK IT UP AND LUBRICATE THE CONTENTS. DONT GIVE UP THIS TAKES TIME IF ITS BLOCKED LIKE I SAID 3WKS BEFORE MINE WAS CLEARED GOODLUCK!!

Back
Top Bottom