Impacted crop

In my article I have covered all kinds of reasons why a crop impacts. However sometimes the symptoms have to be treated first before one can diagnose the cause of the issue. :)

Yes, absolutely, however, folks need to be warned that even if they successfully fix the impaction, the bird may still die if the reason was beyond the crop. I always like to make sure to assuage the guilt of the chicken keeper--guilt is a condition we all have in this hobby. No need for people to beat themselves up unnecessarily.

Sometimes, there is just nothing you can do but treat symptoms and hope it is not something more sinister than what you were trying to fix. Only trying to educate people, as I always do.
wink.png

Last edited:
Impacted Crops have very few options for treatment. Cutting..flushing..or medications. If at all possible it is best avoid surgery and use some sort of alternative method to move an impactions. These things kill a bird very quickly with food poisoning and toxins. You can't wait around if a bird cannot move it's crop.

I have used these with great success not only on my birds but on many members here that have come to me with impactions. These are very safe to use and I originally was told by a vet to start with these until he could send me Crop Bound capsules. I found that there was no difference in the time it took to move the impaction, the birds stool or the condition of the bird with either the official Crop Bound pills and Dulcolax.

If I ever have a bird with a seemingly impacted crop, may try the Dulcolax. I know that I've never had a bird with an impacted crop that was caused just by fiber, unfortunately.

I've had hens with crops that quit moving food and all the layer pellets and water just turned into a doughy mush that refused to move unless pushed through by us. In other words, even if we emptied the crop, it was "dead" due to some more serious internal issue. I've lost more than one big Orpington hen that way. Had a bantam rooster, only male ever with a crop issue, whose crop was big and hard, but also, his comb was purple. Had to surgically empty the crop and did it successfully, but something appeared to be wrong with his heart, probably the cause of the crop malfunction in the first place, and he passed away anyway.

Heart conditions are notorious for backing up the crops. I recently helped a member here with an impaction and we got the crop clear with the Dolculax. But that didn't fix the heart of course. She fed the bird gentle foods for another week or so, but the bird eventually passed on with heart failure.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/dss.html
Docusate is a stool softener. It makes bowel movements softer and easier to pass.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/dulcolax.html
Generic Name: bisacodyl (bis-AK-oh-dil)
Brand Name: Examples include Correctol and Dulcolax
Dulcolax is a stimulant laxative. It acts directly on the bowels, stimulating the bowel muscles to cause a bowel movement.

When in doubt, check the active ingredients. Docusate is what you want, I think.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom