Impacted crop

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/dss.html
Docusate is a stool softener. It makes bowel movements softer and easier to pass.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/dulcolax.html
Generic Name: bisacodyl (bis-AK-oh-dil)
Brand Name: Examples include Correctol and Dulcolax
Dulcolax is a stimulant laxative. It acts directly on the bowels, stimulating the bowel muscles to cause a bowel movement.

When in doubt, check the active ingredients. Docusate is what you want, I think.

-Kathy
Dulcolax is stimulant free....https://www.dulcolax.com/stool-softener.html

It does not cause any stimulation of the bowels.

Quote: Look closely at the product, the one that comes up in that link is docusate 100mg, right? Now look at the active ingredient of the ones to the right. They have bisacodyl 5mg, right?
big_smile.png

-Kathy

This shows what I'm talking about:
https://www.dulcolax.com/constipation-and-gas-relief.html#compare_all_products

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Find the Dulcolax® product that's right for you

Products
Constipation Relief Gas Relief
Stimulant Laxatives
Stool Softeners Suppository
Buy Now Buy Now Buy Now Buy Now Buy Now Buy Now
Dosage
(adults and children 12 years of age or older)
1 to 3 tablets in a single daily dose 1 to 3 tablets in a single daily dose 1 to 3 liquid gels daily 1 to 3 softgels daily 1 suppository in a single daily dose 1 to 4 chewable tablets in 24 hours
Dosing
Oral Oral Oral Oral Rectal Oral
Time to relief
Works overnight Works overnight Works gradually Works gradually Works in minutes Works in minutes
Active ingredient
Bisacodyl Bisacodyl Docusate sodium Docusate sodium Bisacodyl Simethicone
How it works
Speeds up stool movement by stimulating the bowel muscles Speeds up stool movement by stimulating the bowel muscles Softens the stool in the intestine, making it easier to pass Softens the stool in the intestine, making it easier to pass Speeds up stool movement by stimulating the bowel muscles Combines smaller gas bubbles into larger ones which are easier for the body to pass naturally

Last edited:
This shows what I'm talking about:
https://www.dulcolax.com/constipation-and-gas-relief.html#compare_all_products

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Find the Dulcolax® product that's right for you

Products
Constipation Relief Gas Relief
Stimulant Laxatives
Stool Softeners Suppository
Buy Now Buy Now Buy Now Buy Now Buy Now Buy Now
Dosage
(adults and children 12 years of age or older)
1 to 3 tablets in a single daily dose 1 to 3 tablets in a single daily dose 1 to 3 liquid gels daily 1 to 3 softgels daily 1 suppository in a single daily dose 1 to 4 chewable tablets in 24 hours
Dosing
Oral Oral Oral Oral Rectal Oral
Time to relief
Works overnight Works overnight Works gradually Works gradually Works in minutes Works in minutes
Active ingredient
Bisacodyl Bisacodyl Docusate sodium Docusate sodium Bisacodyl Simethicone
How it works
Speeds up stool movement by stimulating the bowel muscles Speeds up stool movement by stimulating the bowel muscles Softens the stool in the intestine, making it easier to pass Softens the stool in the intestine, making it easier to pass Speeds up stool movement by stimulating the bowel muscles Combines smaller gas bubbles into larger ones which are easier for the body to pass naturally

Excellent! You will want use the 3rd one from the left..PLAIN Dulcolax....it softens the stool in the intestine, making it easier to pass. It is listed under the constipation/stool softeners section, not the stimulant section.

It is not a stimulant to the intestines. This stuff WILL move and clean out the most stubborn crop in 48 hours. :) Safe for all birds as well as humans!!
smile.png

Last edited:
That's exactly what I have here at the house. Her crop is still hard and full this morning. No poop yet and not wanting to drink. I'm going to do the stool softner. I don't have any baby food so I'm just going to have to try and do it without. I'll fill you in later. Thanks again.

That's exactly what I have here at the house. Her crop is still hard and full this morning. No poop yet and not wanting to drink. I'm going to do the stool softner. I don't have any baby food so I'm just going to have to try and do it without. I'll fill you in later. Thanks again.
Not positive, but I think they can go for about three days without water before dying. Note that I am not saying to let her go any longer without water, but that she realy does need water ASAP. 15ml per pound now, then again in 60-90 minutes, but only if her crop has cleared the water, which it probably will. Do read the the label on your laxitive bottle and I think you will find that it says to take with water. The same drug, when given to animals, is supposed to be given *with* water.

Get a tube and syringe and I'll teach you how to safely give fluids.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Definitely get her going on the stool softener. These will help greatly with breaking down the impaction. If you can tube water into her as Kathy has suggested, this will help the stool softener work even better. The more water the better.

Every time you get water into her, massage her crop for 5 mins or so to break of the impaction. If you are unable to tube water into her, make sure he has plenty of water available to her and still massage her crop each hour to help break these ball down.

The only food she can have today is the food you will use to get the stool softener in her.

Last edited:
Definitely get her going on the stool softener. These will help greatly with breaking down the impaction. If you can tube water into her as Kathy has suggested, this will help the stool softener work even better. The more water the better.

Every time you get water into her, massage her crop for 5 mins or so to break of the impaction. If you are unable to tube water into her, make sure he has plenty of water available to her and still massage her crop each hour to help break these ball down.

The only food she can have today is the food you will use to get the stool softener in her.
Why not just give the capsule orally without food?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom