Impacted croup... byc help needed! asap!

I don't know much about chickens, but I did read about a person giving, baby parrot food, you mix the food with warm /hot water, check temp of the food 103 degrees, umm that's the temp I use to feed baby cockateils, then use a sirange (not spelled right) and drip it in the top beak see if she will take it, I could be wrong about how to feed it.

Ok so I gave her a big dose of water... Thinking... Well it had to go through the same way & maybe it would flush her system a little...
I set her in a basket in the sun & kept giving her water 3 10 ml helpings over about a hr period & she stood up & pooped the stinkiest hugest poop ever!!
I'm just keeping with that, min oil & a little applause mixed with yolk for now.
I spoke to my vet.
He advised to put her down... Said that there was a point that it was more humane...
Then not but 3 min later she up & pooped the worst poop ever!
I'm thinking it must be starting to pass...

Can anybody advise how many days it takes for the blockage to get moving??
We are coming up on 48 hrs for treatment.

Good job giving the water! If you don't keep her hydrated, she will die. FWIW, when mine are sick they get 30ml/kg of Pedialyte or lactated ringers tubed every 6-8 hours. The gut just doesn't work when there's no fluid as you have just witnessed.

As for how long it takes for the blockage to resolve, it depends on where and what the blockage is. Could be anywhere between her crop and her vent.

I don't know much about chickens, but I did read about a person giving, baby parrot food, you mix the food with warm /hot water, check temp of the food 103 degrees, umm that's the temp I use to feed baby cockateils, then use a sirange (not spelled right) and drip it in the top beak see if she will take it, I could be wrong about how to feed it.
I also do this, but I tube it, it's much safer and way less stressful to the bird.

Edit: Oops - I didn't see all these extra posts on page 2. Someone beat me to it. Oh well, I'll leave my comments here anyway.

JacP - for some reason, I could not reply to your PM so I'm glad I found your thread. I'm fairly new to treating chickens...

I had a roo that was going downhill and I ended up tube feeding him baby bird food from the pet store. It is a very fine water soluble powder that can fit thru a syringe (without a needle of course). I used a 60 mm syringe with an 18inch feeding tube from my vet but you could rig something up with 1/4 inch tubing. If you decide to try - just start with a little. There are some good threads out there on tube feeding if you're interested.

I thing the tube feeding gave him enough energy for the meds to work (advanced case of coccidiosis in my case).

Hope that helps - if you want to take it that far.

Last edited:
Her croup has air in it now...??? anybody know what this means? baybe I should look at tubing her... is this an easy task??

Does her crop have an odor, could she have sour crop. If so you could treat that with some Monistat (Miconazole) for yeast infection. You could also try flushing her crop, or crop surgery, search the forums for that, I have not had to do either so not much further help there.

I posted this earlier, does she have an odor coming from her that could indicate sour crop, and do you have any of the above medicine for yeast infection?

Here is a link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630307/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat

Last edited:
No oder, it is impacted... No doubt it's impacted... It's now starting to move... Very, very slowly... The poop is FULL of undigested grass.... It stinks so badly!
She is a rack of bones now. Her Brest bone has not a drop of meat on it! 8-9 days starving.. Not good..
I have contacted my vet about a tube, I'm sure he thinks I'm crazy!
I don't want to start feeding this food & add to the impaction, but do u think I can thin it & add it to the applesauce will it still help things move??
Also.. With no Oder could there still be a need for an anti fungal?
I posted this earlier, does she have an odor coming from her that could indicate sour crop, and do you have any of the above medicine for yeast infection?

Here is a link  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630307/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat

Back
Top Bottom