impacted/"doughy" crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SunnySideUp312, Mar 29, 2017.

1. SunnySideUp312

SunnySideUp312 New Egg

Apr 12, 2015
    Hi I am new to chickens and in need of help!
    My problems began after a round of worming treatment. It has been over 6 months since I wormed the girls. I began with the Wazine in their water and followed up with the Safeguard goat wormer. After the second day of the wormer my buff orphinton started to withdraw and behave a little odd. I have 3 girls and she is the only one having issues. She is laying down all the time, she will not eat and is taking in very little water on her own.

Day 1: Gave Wazine in water and locked them in the run so it was only water source
    Day 2: weighed each girl on postal scale approximately 4# and 11oz Buff Orphington, (x2) and 4#9oz Speckled Sussex
    Gave 1ml of safegaurd goat wormer per bird.
    missed a day of wormer -worked late (poops were a little runny but I expected that )
    Day 3 Gave second dose of wormer 1 ml each
    Day 4 started to notice less activity in my one Buff (Star) She is keeping to herself and lying down. Held off on more wormer.
    Day 5 definite change in Star. She wont come when called and has no interest in food. She will drink on her own. Crop is full but soft. Poop is bright green. She is listless and isolates self from flock, she seems lost. I started electrolytes in water. gave some by syringe but she will still drink on her own.I offered yogurt but she wont eat. I massage her crop and check it at bed time. It is still soft but feels full ( not tight like, overfull. just full) Poop is spinach green (dark) with yellow and runny.
    Day 6 Star has not ate in 2 days crop is still full and soft in the morning. I massage several times and give water and electrolytes. after several attempts and a lot of patience on her part I was able to drain some of her crop.I have never done this before, it was a little intimidating. She was able to give me about a tablespoon to a tablespoon and a half of liquid. It was foul smelling and was dark grey. Even after I purged her it still feels like it has stuff in it. It feels like sand in a balloon. The only way to get her to purge is give water from the syringe first. She is very dehydrated. She perked up a little and her crop went down some.
    I found the link on crop issues. (amazing article btw!) the description of a doughy crop seems to fit best. It will go down for a while but build back up. It stays soft and pliable. No foreign object like grass or anything came up with the fluid. She is definitely not egg bound. This is all digestive issues.My other two are doing fine, poops are great, eating, happy as clams!
    I am not sure what the next step is. I do not want to induce diarrhea with laxative because she is so severely dehydrated.
    Is she impacted with worms lower in the tract and cant drain? Does she have a yeast infection in her crop preventing her from digestion? I keep giving electrolytes by syringe Her poop is now clear with just a hint of yellow, its all water. How often do I give her the syringed water and how much? Do I fill with water and purge her again to 'wash" out her crop? Do I treat with more wormer, epsom, or the doughy recipe? I feel like I'm stressing her out each time I water her with the syringe but she is not taking in enough on her own. I tried a little nutridrench for some nutrition but still no food. How do I get on top of the dehydration so she can regulate herself? My poor baby is slipping away. Please help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Generally when worming chickens, you would use only one wormer. Wazine only the gets roundworms, the most common one in chickens. It is given for a 24 hour period and then stopped. SafeGuard (fenbendazole) is a more effective wormer getting roundworms, gapeworms, cecal worms, and capillary worms, but shouldn't be given on top of the Wazine. It wasn't necessary to use the Wazine at all. SafeGuard can be given once and again in 14 days to treat roundworms. Treating for 3 days will get gapeworms and cecal worms, and 5 days will treat the difficult capillary worms. She could have had a crop problem brewing before the treatment, though, so I would just try to get fluids into her containing vitamins and electrolytes. If you have access to a vet familiar with chickens, that would be good, and you could get them to flush her crop out with a crop tube. When I treated a chicken with a crop impaction, I used aquarium air tubing as a feeding tube to flush out the crop with water. (Do not attempt this if you do not feel comfortable) Take one end of a piece of tubing and melt it slightly to round off sharp edges, The rounded off part of the tube goes down the back of the throat on the chicken's right side to the esophagus, avoiding the large hole (trachea or airway) in the center at the base of the tongue, and into the crop. Using a 35 ml syringe from a feed store, you can connect it to the tube and pull out crop contents to check if you are in the right place. . That will enable you to then give water into the crop. Massage the crop several times a day to help break up the impaction.

[​IMG]
    avoid the trachea or hole at the base of the tongue

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  3. SunnySideUp312

SunnySideUp312 New Egg

Apr 12, 2015
    Thank you so much for the great info. I have retraced my steps and think the issue may have been self induced on my end. We had a very late hard cold snap a few weeks ago. I thought it would be nice to offer a nice warm treat in the morning to help the girls get going through the cold. Enter the oatmeal. This may have gummed up the works. I am so thankful for your very informative site. We are urban chicken farmers so I'm not sure if I can find a local vet, but I will try and call around.
    Thanks again!

4. SunnySideUp312

SunnySideUp312 New Egg

Apr 12, 2015
    I'm still not having much luck with breaking up the impaction.
    I am able to get water thru a syringe in her, but the airline tubing seems so big! Yikes ! I'm nervous to try it. Is there anything else besides water and massage I should be doing? I am using probiotic powder and electrolytes in the water. Approximatly how much water will her crop hold? Is there anything that will help dissolve the clump? Its way too large for her to throw up herself. When she purges herself she only brings up sandy water. How long is too long for this to continue? I don't want her to suffer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Search at the top of this page in the large box for impacted, slow, and sour crop treatments and prevention, and in the first article by Two Crows is very detailed information. Keep massaging and giving water in the meantime. Some use colace (coccusate sodium) capsules or Monistat 7 cream or suppositories, given orally. There are also threads anout that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by