Impeyan

spectrumranch

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
South Dakota & Wisconsin
1impeyan.jpg

Hey, from your location(s) I am thinking you might have some good firsthand information on the cold tolerance of this bird? I saw one (not for sale) a couple weeks ago and was deeply smitten, and am trying to figure out whether it's something I should make sure to leave space to house in the future
tongue.png
Do you know how cold they can handle? And do they need the entire aviary at that temperature or just a 'house' portion of it?

Thanks for any info,

Pat, who thinks this is absolutely the most beautiful bird in the whole world.

Quote:
Yes, Impeyans or also called Himalayan Monals are pheasants. They are one of the three different types of monal pheasants.

Would be closely related to Sclater & Chinese Monals.

Quote:
Impeyans are very cold hardy. Ours winter outside with no heat provided, and our temps go down to about 20 below zero or more.

Here are our pens were we winter alot of our cold hardy pheasants (like ruffed, monals, tragopans, Eared, Longtailed, Cheer):

pens6.jpg

pens3.jpg

spectrumranch- gorgeous birds...and nice setup too! Your pens look great.
thumbsup.gif

A local bird sanctuary has some Impeyans...the plumage on the males is unbelievable!!! I want one...lol
droolin.gif

Good gravy you have a LOT of birds!
tongue.png

Can I ask what size pen you have the Impeyans in, I have read 200 sq ft (that's for a pair, I assume?) but what would you recommend?

Quote:
Woo hoo! Oooo, my husband won't like that! (tough luck to him)
big_smile.png

I will have to decide where the eventual Impeyan habitat will go and make sure not to build any structures or garden beds there in the next year or two, which is probably about what it will take to a) break the news to DH, b) get something built, c) save up to *afford* said birds, and d) *find* some in Canada. [Obviously they are here, as the one I saw was about an hour away, once I get to the point of actually being In The Market I will email the guy and ask if he has contacts
smile.png
]

Thanks!

Pat

Back
Top Bottom