IMPORTANT!!!!

showgirl3

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
the computer
I need help! I have chicks that are eight weeks old and hens that are about a year older, how do I put the babies in the coop without them getting pecked. When I put the birds in last year the older ones pecked the other ones and they were only a week older! any advice? anyone?
Thanks,
Showgirl3

And how old should chicks be to put them ina coop when on average this year it has been 50 degrees? I have a silkie and an ameracauna

I need help! I have chicks that are eight weeks old and hens that are about a year older, how do I put the babies in the coop without them getting pecked. When I put the birds in last year the older ones pecked the other ones and they were only a week older! any advice? anyone?
Thanks,
Showgirl3

I usually don't try to integrate young ones into the flock until they are around 3 months old. But I sell a lot of 8 week old chicks and I advise my customers to have a place the little ones can escape to such as a small fenced in area the older hens can't get into. Sometimes just a small dog carrier or box that only the little ones can get into. A separate pen inside the coop works well to keep them separate but where they can get used to each other. But I know this isn't always possible.
smile.png

We got three chicks last year when we already had 8 adults I started introducing them when the babies started feathering out.
At first we did short intros then after about 2 weeks we where able to let all of them free range together (mind you the chicks where in a safe place when we couldn't watch them) after another 2 weeks we let them in the coop and run without barriers during the day and at night in a large crate.
For the age of chicks you have now I would think you could keep them in the coop at night in a safe area and in possible let them free range with the adults but if you can't free range.
I would suggest creating a safe shaded place for them outside inside the adults run. when I first let the chicks in with the adults I fed the adults a treat so that they would see the babies but be more interested the food. After that we watched them really close.
100% success with no pecking (other establishing a pecking order) and no deaths.
I would think this method would work even better with your older chicks.
hope this helped although I'm thinking that some of it won't make sense (horrible with grammar, punctuation, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom