Importation of Hatching Eggs: USDA

Quote:
what are they and did you import live birds or eggs?

These are Sulmtalers. I imported eggs. But they grow super fast
big_smile.png

Cool they look neat.

Quote:
These are Sulmtalers. I imported eggs. But they grow super fast
big_smile.png

Cool they look neat.

Thanks! They have the personality to go with the looks. So far I am very happy. Just hope they will survive our brutal summers without having to take them into an airconditioned environment
big_smile.png

Thanks to everyone for posting and for the process and fees involved.
That said, anyone want to go in on some eggs together? I really want to get some la fleche eggs or dorkings.

Quote:
Sorry, flowerchild. I used up my set of nerves for importing eggs for 2011
roll.png

But I can try to assist you with any questions you may have.

Ca,
how many eggs did you actually hatch from your imported eggs?
What was the breakdown per chick when it was all said and done, if you don't mind me asking.

Hi everyone -

I have legally imported eggs in the past and it is a red taped and expensive process.

The biggest issue you will have to import is finding a reputable breeder in the UK that is willing to put their flock through the DEFRA test to get the health certificate. This is about $ 1000 USD (depending on the exchange rate and the number of different breeds you bring in)

Then from there you have the plant ticket, cost of the egg, cost of paying the exporter in the UK to drive to Heathrow airport to ship, cost of the USDA permit, cost of the APHIS/USDA inspection, and the cost of paying the cargo company at the airport their service fees. In the end if you bring in 45 eggs or so....... the cost is about $ 45 - $ 55 USD per egg and this does not include your cost to drive to the closest airport that has a APHIS/USDA vet on site.

THEN - you have to be willing to realize that you will have eggs that will not hatch.... 50% or more.... that will then drive up the cost per egg.

I cannot recall the many people who have wanted to 'partner' with me on imports - and it would not be a bad idea - BUT I have yet to find one person with the stomach to take the risk.

In the end - please do not be too upset with Marc or I who import the birds and charge the prices... not sure about Marc - but all I want to do is break even and bring over a beautiful bird for us to enjoy. In short- this is not a get rich scheme...by the time you get them here and sell to a few breeders - they lower the price and hurt the market.

Regards,
Richard

PS - If anyone wants to try a import of eggs - I would be happy to coordinate the effort and get the eggs here from the UK. And believe it or not - I will NOT ... NOT .... charge you a dime to get them here. You can PM me for details.

Quote:
To do it legally it is very expensive. But to do it illegally may be more expensive. One rare disease (like "egg drop syndrome ") imported with hatching eggs could destroy the entire poultry industry, not just backyard and exhibition birds. Yesterday I was asked to substitute teach for our local Vo-Ag teacher. Many of the students were from poultry industry farms. What if I had a rare disease on my shoes from my coops? It would have been easy to pass it on to their shoes. We all come in contact with the commercial industry while at Wal-Mart.

The import rules are there for a reason. Buying "decorative eggs" on ebay from other countries and hatching them could cost us all millions. I admire Marc for paying the import fees on his Orpingtons.

Good point Jim.
My nephew and I were working toward importing hatching eggs several years ago.(he lives in england). it isnt easy yet if you have a lot of determination it is... Vets on both ends and the other end likes you to pay thier vet as well..paper work ect..its just mostly determination..we decided to not due to at that time the avian flu outbreak as well as considering many different diseases that do not exist here at this time. so it all got put on the backburner and we left it there..they make special travel cases all metal styro foam egg holders inside..looks like a breif case.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have tried to avoid that calculation so far! But if you make me...

Imported 30 eggs, hatched 7 (which is really good considering that FedEx screwed up and the eggs were on the road way too long).
All 7 are still up and running! 3 roosters, 4 hens. I love them!

OK now the numbers:
Permit, $141, ammendment $70, vet fees at arrival $240, that's $451 to USDA
Vet and lab fees in country of origin about $500
Cost for eggs $30
lau.gif

Shipping fees: $0 because FedEx felt so bad about their mistakes. And I probably made their life very miserable by calling all day long for three days!
Cost for therapy afterwards... well, I managed with a bottle of scotch.
wink.png

Drumroll, thats per egg:

unhatched: $33
hatched: $143

Glad I did not know that ahead of time! I thought it was going to be $141 + shipping
hide.gif
(there still are naive people in this country apparently
roll.png
)

But I love my chickens!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
I have tried to avoid that calculation so far! But if you make me...

Imported 30 eggs, hatched 7 (which is really good considering that FedEx screwed up and the eggs were on the road way too long).
All 7 are still up and running! 3 roosters, 4 hens. I love them!

OK now the numbers:
Permit, $141, ammendment $70, vet fees at arrival $240, that's $451 to USDA
Vet and lab fees in country of origin about $500
Cost for eggs $30
lau.gif

Shipping fees: $0 because FedEx felt so bad about their mistakes. And I probably made their life very miserable by calling all day long for three days!
Cost for therapy afterwards... well, I managed with a bottle of scotch.
wink.png

Drumroll, thats per egg:

unhatched: $33
hatched: $143

Glad I did not know that ahead of time! I thought it was going to be $141 + shipping
hide.gif
(there still are naive people in this country apparently
roll.png
)

But I love my chickens!
celebrate.gif

If it makes you feel any better - that is about right on the hatch. I ship eggs via cargo - British Airways - and I get them less than 24 hrs from when leave the UK and the hatch of 45 eggs was 11. From now on I bring in many more eggs to help the odds........

Back
Top Bottom