Importing eggs from Australia to the USA...help!

kickinchicken

Songster
12 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Rhode Island
I am working on getting some eggs from a woman in Australia. We are both not well versed in the USDA regulations on importing eggs between these 2 countries.
Can someone point me in the right direction to the link on the USDA site for safe countries? I am going to look today, but I am sure, like most government sites, things aren't easily found.

Thanks!

You need to get a usda import form saying that the laying flock was inspected by a vet in that country and is free from all these chicken diseases then attach it to the shipment. Or you could just call them craft eggs (hey did I say that?).

Hi there, we checked into importing eggs and worked on it a couple months (you need to go to http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ and you can get all the information you need) after all the costs - vet to blood test all her chickens $1200 to $2400 - unfortunately they all have to be blood tested for transporting eggs, transport to USA (they have to arrive in at a customs port where there is a usda vet to check them like JFK) about $700 for the plane, permits here, permits there. All the cost excluding the cost of the eggs was about $5000.............Lots and lots of red tape.
sad.png

It can be done but it is difficult and costly. Good luck!
smile.png

Wow! $7,000....mmmmm not worth it. I mean, I'd love to get these eggs but for $7,000 I can just travel around America to find them here....LOL

Craft eggs? I like that idea. Yes, that's exactly what they are....craft eggs!

Back
Top Bottom