Importing eggs from Europe

Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
i'm going to work with someone to help me import some eggs of a rare breed not in the US. Flemish Cuckoo look like a nice breed that would be popular in the US. anyone know any info about them? (i've read the page about them in the Association for Promotion of Belgian Poultry Breeds site, all the info it gives is all i know)

Last edited:
Quote:
thats bascially what my mom said. this is just the beggining of things, i'm looking for a breeder right now, and i'm going to look for work on a poultry farm or something in MN (i'm moving there this summer) i've got to look for someone who is ok with a breeding program because i'll be living on a 1/3 acre lot where i'm too close to neighboors to have roosters. i already know a few places that might hire me and be ok with a breeding program

say, what kind of paperwork do i need anyway?

Quote:
thats bascially what my mom said. this is just the beggining of things, i'm looking for a breeder right now, and i'm going to look for work on a poultry farm or something in MN (i'm moving there this summer) i've got to look for someone who is ok with a breeding program because i'll be living on a 1/3 acre lot where i'm too close to neighboors to have roosters. i already know a few places that might hire me and be ok with a breeding program

You have to go thru the government...USDA I believe....and get all the right permits and find a breeder in a country that it's ok to import from and have them be willing to do all the testing on their side of it to be able to import their birds or eggs. Lots of time and expense to do it.

Quote:

You have to go thru the government...USDA I believe....and get all the right permits and find a breeder in a country that it's ok to import from and have them be willing to do all the testing on their side of it to be able to import their birds or eggs. Lots of time and expense to do it.

expense? how much on average?

i'm reading animal imports on the USDA website and from wat i've read so far it doesn't look tooooooo hard. but i think all this is going to rip a huge hole in my wallet considering getting the importing permit, shipping costs, and the price of the eggs themselves.

Quote:
i know, from this page on importing on the USDA, it lists bunches of counties that cannot export birds to the US at the moment. thank goodness the countires that would have breeders of Flemish Cuckoos are not on the list!

Back
Top Bottom