Importing eggs from UK

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kickinchicken, Nov 21, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I am looking at importing eggs from the UK. Has anyone done this and how well did it work out as far as viable eggs surviving hte trip? I am looking at chocolate cochins as well as black or blue Sultans.

Ashlee

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
  3. Chubby Chicken

Chubby Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

was that link supposed to be helpful?

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'm pretty sure that the eggs must go through quarantine. Some chicken diseases can be carried in eggs.

Contact your USDA APHIS veterinarian. He will know what the requirements are for importing birds and eggs.

5. NCSprout

NCSprout Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Sophia, NC
    The eggs don't go through a quarantine procedure, however the breeder/source of origin of the eggs must be vet certified flock tested by an approved organization. The eggs must be shipped into specific ports and a vet and usually an ag. official must be present at the place and time of arrival. You will need to contact USDA APHIS to get necessary permits and such. It can be a daunting task, but it has been done. If I can find the link I will post one to a site where someone explained there experience.

6. NCSprout

NCSprout Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Sophia, NC
    okay, here's a link to one successful account of an import of eggs into the US from Europe.

http://www.widgetcreekranch.com/import.html

I have been lookng into importing some russian orloff eggs from UK and Germany for a little while now. Maybe in the not too distant future I can add my experience. Oh, and, yes, it is expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by