Impossible to break brooder!

CJReni

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 9, 2013
We have a little bantam hen that is next to impossible to break. We've tried multiple "jail" like approaches from multiple chicken forums and articles. She will go to laying, but then about a week later she'll get broody. Would it be best for us to allow her to hatch a fertile egg? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

I'm really curious. Why would you want to stop her? We can't wait for our next broody. It sounds like you've got a great one! If it were me, I'd put a bunch of eggs under her!!

I'd say good luck but it sounds like you don't need any more!!

I've tried putting a broody in cold water, snow bank and just kicking her off the next repeatedly. Nothing worked. I decided to go with the flow and let them hatch. Good luck. That instinct is just so strong in some birds. I am hoping one of mine next summer goes broody.

I give my broody birdies a cool bath and remove their nest. Then feed a treat like watermelon or dried worms. Sometimes it can take 3 or more cool baths. It lowers their hormonal levels. I have read that it is too hot where I live to allow them to sit. If I do not take the nest they go right back. They then go to some other next to lay.

Last edited:
I have to stop mine because I live in Arizona and it's too hot, its buggy. The risk of them getting sick or overheated. I do not have roosters either. From what I have read, its best not to let hens sit on unfertile eggs.

I live in Florida and it's been a hot and dry summer here! I have a young, very broody bantam too! Everyday I made sure I took her down so she would eat and drink and give treats when I did it.... It took about 6 weeks and lots of patience but has been "normal" with the other girls ever since!! If I had known bantams were so fussy I probably wouldn't have chosen that breed as I only have 4 girls! But they are family now, so no turning back!! Good luck!

I'm really curious. Why would you want to stop her? We can't wait for our next broody. It sounds like you've got a great one! If it were me, I'd put a bunch of eggs under her!!

I'd say good luck but it sounds like you don't need any more!!

Well, we don't really have a great place to raise chicks. We let our girls free range on out land. We have hawks, other predator birds, as well as other little creatures. We also don't have a rooster, but we are to the point we are just going to go ahead and get a few for her.

Tri
I have to stop mine because I live in Arizona and it's too hot, its buggy. The risk of them getting sick or overheated. I do not have roosters either. From what I have read, its best not to let hens sit on unfertile eggs.

We've tried the cool bath trick too, multiple times. Nothing. She just has a strong instinct.

My turkey Lurkey was terribly broody in June. I just blocked off her nest and kept bathing and feeding her treats. And one of my barred rocks was also stubborn. Good luck.

Well, we don't really have a great place to raise chicks. We let our girls free range on out land. We have hawks, other predator birds, as well as other little creatures. We also don't have a rooster, but we are to the point we are just going to go ahead and get a few for her.

Yeah, predators are trouble. I always have a gun out on the porch.

We bought eggs before we got our Roos. Our boys are still young, though. If we get a broody now I'll go buy eggs again!

As for space, we have room to free-range, and I built tractor coops for sleeping/laying. Our birds come in on their own just before dark.

Best of luck to ya!

Back
Top Bottom