Imprinted Black Bellied Whistling Duck

NOLA yard birds

Chirping
9 Years
May 4, 2014
My sister, a vet at the SPCA, asked me to care for a baby black bellied whistling duck that had been brought to the shelter. When I got him/her, he/she had already imprinted on humans and wanted nothing to do with my ducklings or baby chicks. Three weeks later and he/she is still by my side 24/7. Does anyone have experience with a wild duck who was imprinted and grew up? What can I expect after he/she matures?

Will she want to continue to live in the house?
Will she eventually want to free range during the day and go in the coop at night with the muscovies?
Will she likely fly away to find a mate?

I hope she stays here on the farm with us, but I won’t clip her wings and stop her from being with her kind if she wants that. I am only asking to set my expectations for the future, because I think I am now as imprinted on her as she is on me ❤️

Hi, I have some limited experience with Mallard ducklings imprinting on me and then flying away. We bought some Mallard ducklings from a local supplier. They imprinted on me, as I hand raised them, spent much time with them leading them around and eventually leading them to water near us. They grew up, and most flew away when other Mallards passed overhead in the fall. We had mixed feelings about them flying away, because we had grown very attached to them. They left gradually. There is one who comes back periodically to check for food. She has brought a mate with her, but the mate had been reluctant to come close to our house, and stayed on the water. Otherwise- they seem to have completely adjusted to life in the wild. Other readers may have had a different experience. Good luck.

My sister, a vet at the SPCA, asked me to care for a baby black bellied whistling duck that had been brought to the shelter. When I got him/her, he/she had already imprinted on humans and wanted nothing to do with my ducklings or baby chicks. Three weeks later and he/she is still by my side 24/7. Does anyone have experience with a wild duck who was imprinted and grew up? What can I expect after he/she matures?

Will she eventually want to free range during the day and go in the coop at night with the muscovies?

I hope she stays here on the farm with us, but I won’t clip her wings and stop her from being with her kind if she wants that. I am only asking to set my expectations for the future, because I think I am now as imprinted on her as she is on me ❤️
Yes, I raise mallards and they very often imprint on me. Most of them come back every year in the spring. It all depends though. I hope you have great luck.

Hi, I have some limited experience with Mallard ducklings imprinting on me and then flying away. We bought some Mallard ducklings from a local supplier. They imprinted on me, as I hand raised them, spent much time with them leading them around and eventually leading them to water near us. They grew up, and most flew away when other Mallards passed overhead in the fall. We had mixed feelings about them flying away, because we had grown very attached to them. They left gradually. There is one who comes back periodically to check for food. She has brought a mate with her, but the mate had been reluctant to come close to our house, and stayed on the water. Otherwise- they seem to have completely adjusted to life in the wild. Other readers may have had a different experience. Good luck.
Thank you so much for replying. I hope if she leaves she will at least come back!

Ok I just found one 4 days ago and I’m helping it get strong to hopefully release it. What has your experience been? Can u share any information?

The duckling has to be fully feathered and able to find food before releasing. I think a licensed rehabber is best they know how to care for wild waterfowl and when to release.
:welcome

Ok I just found one 4 days ago and I’m helping it get strong to hopefully release it. What has your experience been? Can u share any information?
I am so sorry, I am just now seeing this.

Mouse, the BBWD, is still with us and I really do not think s/he is going to fly away. S/he is extremely attached to us. S/he free ranges during the day but never leaves the backyard (mainly stays on the porch watching me through the glass door) and does not get along with my ducks or chickens AT ALL. S/he comes inside at dark and lives in a big gerbil cage. S/he is extremely affectionate, whistles at me when s/he wants attention, and affectionately plays with my mini schnauzer multiple times a day.

Attachments

• IMG_6140.jpeg
    IMG_6140.jpeg
    863.6 KB · Views: 11
Update for anyone looking at this in the future: He (no eggs so I am going with “he” now) is still with us and it will be a year in June. He still is not very interested in hanging out with our ducks and chickens but doesn’t try to fight them anymore. He still mainly stays perched on our back porch during the day. He will fly around behind the house some to stretch his wings, but never out of sight (we are on 5 acres but he stays right in the “backyard”). He still comes inside every night and sleeps in a giant gerbil cage on wheels so that we can roll him into whatever room we are in. He constantly sticks his beak through the cage and does soft whistles asking us to rub his beak. If it was up to him he would stay inside with us all day. He is still extremely attached to us and our dog. He starts whistling when he sees us and loves riding around on our shoulder when we are outside. He knows how to “step up” on to our hand when we need to bring him somewhere. I have a flock of 20 (different breeds) and he is the absolute best. I am becoming less and less worried that he will fly off. It seems that his instinct is to come to us if he is nervous about something, not fly off. If we aren’t outside with him he knows to whistle/ flock call if he needs us and we will come.

Back
Top Bottom