Imprinted gosling and lonely goose conundrum...

Free Feather

Songster
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
Southwestern Pennsylvania
On April 21st, I got three, three-year-old geese from a friend of my older sister. She said they were Africans, two geese and a gander. When my mother picked them up, she realized that she knew the people who owned them. They used to own a hoard of horses, housing them in a mud pit pasture full of rusty nails with little room. They were reported repeatedly until they were forced to give all but one away. That horse now has a pasture barely bigger than the size of a living room full of mud and fenced in with very rusty, sharp fencing. She has a dozen geese now. She was forced to downsize because they would not stay off the road, and she already had one die and another get crippled. She gave us the crippled one, saying it was a female, and a boy and a girl. The girl was being separated from her mate. The owner said that the goose would get over it and that if we did not take her, someone else would. So, we took her screaming and flailing with the other two. They were extremely flighty and did not really care for each other because they all had been separated from their mates. I did not intend to keep them, but find a good, permanent home for them like she would not.
Well, it turned out that they were two ganders and a goose, and Chinese to boot. I did not know any better at first because these were my first geese. The ganders started to mate the goose, but they did not truly care about her. Instead, they became pals and were very protective of each other. She was the odd one out. We found them a home on a very large farm with a pond. The issue was that the goose had become broody on seven eggs. The ganders were not protective of her and more or less forgot about her. The two ganders went to the farm, and here the geese remains. She will go to the farm with her goslings later. She is obviously lonely and barely comes off the nest, and when she does, she call for the ganders. Today is her 21st day.
Today, we also got a Canada gosling. He/she hatched by himself, and has imprinted on people. The elderly woman who hatched him kept him in a brooder in the dining room, and now he loves people. I put him in a bottomless cage earlier today to play around in the pasture. He did not want the turkey poults, nor the chicken chicks, but the people. He squalled and squalled.
I went to get water for the birds and came back to an odd sight(I dropped the waterers).
The goose had come off her nest and came to the cage to see the gosling. She was not angry, nor wary, but making soft noises and attempting to coax him to her. At the sight of me, the gosling got excited and wanted to come to me. I sidled past her and opened the cage door. I walked quickly away to see where he would go, and he chased me. The goose was trying to urge him to her, but he kept running to me. I picked him up, and she must have thought I was hurting him, becuase she started hissing and charging. I put him back down and she was calm again, calling to him. He just wanted me.
She came out later today calling and calling for him and pacing his cage, and he hesitantly peeped back. My mother said we could try giving him to her after her babies hatch, because we have done adoptions with multiple week old chicks with chickens, but I am afraid of all the ways it could go wrong. She wants him even though he is old, but he loves people; way too much. He is in the house right now, and every time he sees a human face or hears their voice he gets excited. I want to wean him off people and give him to a mother, but I do not know if she will change her mind after she has babies, or he will not accept her anyways.
Do you think I should try the adoption? Keep a gosling or two of hers to keep him company? Just let him chill with people regardless of the issues it could cause when he is older?
I would appreciate advice and others' opinions. I have had chickens for a while, and used to have ducks, and now turkeys, but I have no previous experience with geese. Help!

On April 21st, I got three, three-year-old geese from a friend of my older sister. She said they were Africans, two geese and a gander. When my mother picked them up, she realized that she knew the people who owned them. They used to own a hoard of horses, housing them in a mud pit pasture full of rusty nails with little room. They were reported repeatedly until they were forced to give all but one away. That horse now has a pasture barely bigger than the size of a living room full of mud and fenced in with very rusty, sharp fencing. She has a dozen geese now. She was forced to downsize because they would not stay off the road, and she already had one die and another get crippled. She gave us the crippled one, saying it was a female, and a boy and a girl. The girl was being separated from her mate. The owner said that the goose would get over it and that if we did not take her, someone else would. So, we took her screaming and flailing with the other two. They were extremely flighty and did not really care for each other because they all had been separated from their mates. I did not intend to keep them, but find a good, permanent home for them like she would not.
Well, it turned out that they were two ganders and a goose, and Chinese to boot. I did not know any better at first because these were my first geese. The ganders started to mate the goose, but they did not truly care about her. Instead, they became pals and were very protective of each other. She was the odd one out. We found them a home on a very large farm with a pond. The issue was that the goose had become broody on seven eggs. The ganders were not protective of her and more or less forgot about her. The two ganders went to the farm, and here the geese remains. She will go to the farm with her goslings later. She is obviously lonely and barely comes off the nest, and when she does, she call for the ganders. Today is her 21st day.
Today, we also got a Canada gosling. He/she hatched by himself, and has imprinted on people. The elderly woman who hatched him kept him in a brooder in the dining room, and now he loves people. I put him in a bottomless cage earlier today to play around in the pasture. He did not want the turkey poults, nor the chicken chicks, but the people. He squalled and squalled.
I went to get water for the birds and came back to an odd sight(I dropped the waterers).
The goose had come off her nest and came to the cage to see the gosling. She was not angry, nor wary, but making soft noises and attempting to coax him to her. At the sight of me, the gosling got excited and wanted to come to me. I sidled past her and opened the cage door. I walked quickly away to see where he would go, and he chased me. The goose was trying to urge him to her, but he kept running to me. I picked him up, and she must have thought I was hurting him, becuase she started hissing and charging. I put him back down and she was calm again, calling to him. He just wanted me.
She came out later today calling and calling for him and pacing his cage, and he hesitantly peeped back. My mother said we could try giving him to her after her babies hatch, because we have done adoptions with multiple week old chicks with chickens, but I am afraid of all the ways it could go wrong. She wants him even though he is old, but he loves people; way too much. He is in the house right now, and every time he sees a human face or hears their voice he gets excited. I want to wean him off people and give him to a mother, but I do not know if she will change her mind after she has babies, or he will not accept her anyways.
Do you think I should try the adoption? Keep a gosling or two of hers to keep him company? Just let him chill with people regardless of the issues it could cause when he is older?
I would appreciate advice and others' opinions. I have had chickens for a while, and used to have ducks, and now turkeys, but I have no previous experience with geese. Help!
This is the best time to get them to know each other by taking him out and letting the mama goose see him and they spend time together, but you need to stay close by for his protection. How old is the gosling? most likely mama will care for all of them and the Canada gosling will be a big brother to the little ones when they hatch. If you can make it so she has access to the Canada gosling and her nest at the same time then you might try just leaving the gosling in with her and you stay close but not where the gosling can see you. I think in time the gosling will warm up to the mama but it's very hard when they imprint on humans for them to see themselves as a goose.I think it can be done though,

A warning though taking these goslings and their mother to a pond will likely be a death sentence for the little ones already we're seeing people coming on with gosling being eaten by snapping turtles which live in natural ponds. They eatiehr need to be rid of first or please keep them till adult size before taking them. They will also attack adult waterfowl.

and I would report these people for keeping animals in such horrid conditions.

Last edited:
I out him out with her about twenty minutes ago. She is happy. He seemed hesitant at first, but now he is cuddling up to her. I have been hiding and watching because I was afraid he would run back to me if he saw me. I have been watching closely. I was just afraid that she would leave her eggs for him, but that has not happened yet. I am hoping that he/she will fill the father figure place, like a friend to her even if he is small. He will be three weeks old when they hatch, about.

I just checked on them to put more food and water in. She went broody in my old duck coop. It is 6 by 6 and three and a half feet at the gable peak with an outside nest, but her nest is right in the middle of the floor.
The gosling came up to me, but I lightly pushed him back to the goose, where he watched me confused. I left and came back with the water, and he came up to me again. When I pushed him away, he just came back, making crying noises. The goose started hissing at me like she thought I was hurting him. I closed the door on him. When I left, he went back to her.
I hope he just forgets about me. He wanted held all the time in the house or he would cry. I felt bad letting him cry, but I was afraid that he would be impossible to give to the goose if I encouraged him.

I just checked on them to put more food and water in. She went broody in my old duck coop. It is 6 by 6 and three and a half feet at the gable peak with an outside nest, but her nest is right in the middle of the floor.
The gosling came up to me, but I lightly pushed him back to the goose, where he watched me confused. I left and came back with the water, and he came up to me again. When I pushed him away, he just came back, making crying noises. The goose started hissing at me like she thought I was hurting him. I closed the door on him. When I left, he went back to her.
I hope he just forgets about me. He wanted held all the time in the house or he would cry. I felt bad letting him cry, but I was afraid that he would be impossible to give to the goose if I encouraged him.
It's hard to do but as long as she is accepting him I'd leave it like it is. Just keep checking on them if you can with out him seeing you. That will help him bond quicker to her. Geese have a strong maternal instinct and she is feeling very maternal right now since she is broody. Keep us updated.
smile.png

I also have some Canada goslings also not having experience with geese at all, so I feel ya. But I do not own any adults, just babies. I hatched them myself and are their 'mother'. They follow me around, but I am afraid that they'll fly off in the fall and not come back, or not know how to survive. I hope you have good luck with the geese and hatch

I also have some Canada goslings also not having experience with geese at all, so I feel ya. But I do not own any adults, just babies. I hatched them myself and are their 'mother'. They follow me around, but I am afraid that they'll fly off in the fall and not come back, or not know how to survive. I hope you have good luck with the geese and hatch
They may not fly off since they have been with a human caring for them. But if they do decide to leave just feel proud you gave them a great start in life and hopefully next mating season they will return to mate and raise their gosling there.
smile.png

They still are getting along fine. If I look in, the gosling still wants to come to me, but not as much. Hopefully with time he will forget about me. I will keep watching, especially when her eggs hatch.

I will be creeping by the window.

They still are getting along fine. If I look in, the gosling still wants to come to me, but not as much. Hopefully with time he will forget about me. I will keep watching, especially when her eggs hatch.

I will be creeping by the window.
That's great news. and I think when goslings hatch all will be fine this gosling will take on role of big bro or sis to the new ones. How old is this gosling we're talking about?

You have become a peeping tom lol

Back
Top Bottom