imprinting on goslings after the first 24-48 hours of life . . . can it be done?

lilolilman

Songster
Jun 22, 2021
Long Island, NY
Hi all,

any advice on imprinting a gosling that shipped out on Monday, but hasn't arrived yet (it's almost 12 noon on Wednesday). I'm pretty convinced now they won't come until tomorrow morning. But everything I am reading says that essential imprinting occurs during the first 24-48 hours of life. So I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice about how we can still imprint them after that time frame has passed?

also, what about goslings that are older? like 2-4 weeks? (we're creating back up plans in case something horribly goes wrong with this shipment :(. I found a couple of goslings about 3.5 hours away from me, but they're already like 18 days old . . .)

Imprinting actually takes longer.

They do assume the first friendly thing they see is mom/dad, but whoever they’re around most in their first weeks of life is their parent.

Older goslings, like the 3/4 week old ones will be more suspicious of you, but they’re still in their baby phase so if you’re kind and calm around them, give them lots of treats they’ll know you’re their new parent fairly quickly.
Geese are prone to sometimes abducting and raising goslings that aren’t theirs, it’s a survival adaption that the largest most expierienced adults raise babies from other, sometimes inexpierienced parents as they stand a better chance at survival.

Last edited:
Imprinting actually takes longer.

They do assume the first friendly thing they see is mom/dad, but whoever they’re around most in their first weeks of life is their parent.

Older goslings, like the 3/4 week old ones will be more suspicious of you, but they’re still in their baby phase so if you’re kind and calm around them, give them lots of treats they’ll know you’re their new parent fairly quickly.
Geese are prone to sometimes abducting and raising goslings that aren’t theirs, it’s a survival adaption that the largest most expierienced adults raise babies from other, sometimes inexpierienced parents as they stand a better chance at survival.
Wow, thank you for explaining this, it helps me to understand them so much better. I am so grateful I joined this site because it’s really making this process of waiting for their arrival a little more bearable and I get such good info from you guys (googling can be quite exhausting and I don’t know what info to trust).

thanks again I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom