Imprinting

Sand is not an adequate grit, they need a chick grit starting at the age of about a week regardless of their diet. Anything besides their starter/grower crumble, yogurt and cooked egg requires grit to be properly digested. At about 8 weeks they can be provided with adult sized grit.

Right now they are still on chick starter but I will buy some grit right away. They will not be on sand for a while.
I would like to start supplementing to add some weight
They are growing up fast but too skinny in my view.

Sand should work as grit. My birds use it based on the grit contained in gizzards when dissected.

That makes sense as farm chickens are not supplemented grit.
Any suggestions on supplemental food for weight. I just switched from regular chick started to organic chick starter.

Sand passes through the gizzard, it might help a bit but it would be much more effective for them to have appropriately sized grit. Sand will be completely ineffective once the bird grows.

Thank you I'll get grit no problem, I want to make sure I do every thing to keep them healthy.

Hopefully the feed is properly formulated you make certain it is fresh and properly stored in a cool dry place out of bright light and free from pest.

I have only played with organic feeds. My birds did not go after version I had. It was too expensive. My free-range birds get eats by foraging even as small chicks. Penned birds I provide with the MannaPro Medicated Chick Starter. The chick starter I get from the coop seems to promote pasty butt. It is a fiber issue that is the problem, not cocci.

Got the fresh and storage under control. I'm not sure how to ensure proper formulation :(. I don't have a problem with pasty butt. but they seem skinny. They are growing tall and lanky. I cnat let them free range (predators) but I've been letting out on the lawn a few hours every day.

The behavioral differences may be a function of genetics but not of how the hatchery treated them.

If taming them is high priority, then I suggest you confine the chicks such that you do not tower over them when working in and around their brooder. Then consider using something like life meal worms as a treat to reward interactions. That will also set stage for training.

I can detail methods of training that will get birds to point where they will come to you when called if you are interested.
I'd like some tips on training if you don't mind. 1 chicken of my year old flock survived a neighbors dog attack they were all very tame. My 3 week old chicks not so much. I just got a few more 2 days ago, cute little bantams, I'd like to stay more tame.

Back
Top Bottom