Imprinting

I had 2 broody ducks back in Sept. I ordered ducklings thinking I would give them to one of my broodies well the day they arrived I excitedly took them out and tried with one broody [this was after she had been broody almost the length of time she would have sat and duckings would have hatched ]well that broody wanted nothing to do with them so I gathered them up and took them to the next broody nope she didn't want them either so they became mine.

Not related to imprinting, but....

I had 2 in side by side nests staggard about a week apart. Most of #2s early hatched ducklings joined #1s in the run while #2 continued to sit on stragglers for another week before finally giving up the nest. Then they became co-moms. Maybe the hatch itself is a factor, or duckling care insticts?

Not related to imprinting, but....

I had 2 in side by side nests staggard about a week apart. Most of #2s early hatched ducklings joined #1s in the run while #2 continued to sit on stragglers for another week before finally giving up the nest. Then they became co-moms. Maybe the hatch itself is a factor, or duckling care insticts?
I've noticed all my hens that hatch within a couple weeks will band together with very few exceptions. Leading theory for me I that it's a numbers game for each hen. The more chicks present, the less likely a predator will target hers.

It was sad but I enjoyed those babies so much . IMG_2420.jpeg

I agree a mom with her little ones is amazing !
Thankfully I got to watch this in summer when one of my girls hatched 6 little ones
After 3 weeks she was done raising them and they went to a new home together
Mom stayed here and went about her normal day hanging with her flock mates
My last 2 I hatched and kept inside until bigger where they could be outside and start the see no touch process to join the flock are now with their parents
Those two girls will come up to me and let me hold them
Both ways still produces great adults

Back
Top Bottom