Imprinting

Jerome32

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2023
Got 2 newly hatched ducklings this week.:D Her mother wasnt broody so I transferred the eggs to the incubator. Some issue has been weighing on my mind. Is it even possible to introduce these newly hatched ducklings to their mother in order to make them imprinting on their mother instead of me?

Got 2 newly hatched ducklings this week.:D Her mother wasnt broody so I transferred the eggs to the incubator. Some issue has been weighing on my mind. Is it even possible to introduce these newly hatched ducklings to their mother in order to make them imprinting on their mother instead of me?
i thought it was the first thing they see that they think is their mom - so it’s too late? ⏰ theyve seen you already??

I tried this myself
I had one egg make it ti hatch under my first broody duck
But baby has a bruise at the wrong end and needed assistance
I took the egg ti my bator and left mom with a chicken egg
Once baby was hatched and ready I tried ti sneak her in the nest
My daisy freaked out and tried to hurt the baby
I kept her in the brooder until she was big enough to be with her 2 week older siblings safely
They took her in as part of their flock and she forgot all about me ( she was excited )
At the end of the day
Mom duck is with her children she just doesn’t know it :)

I tried this myself
I had one egg make it ti hatch under my first broody duck
But baby has a bruise at the wrong end and needed assistance
I took the egg ti my bator and left mom with a chicken egg
Once baby was hatched and ready I tried ti sneak her in the nest
My daisy freaked out and tried to hurt the baby
I kept her in the brooder until she was big enough to be with her 2 week older siblings safely
They took her in as part of their flock and she forgot all about me ( she was excited )
At the end of the day
Mom duck is with her children she just doesn’t know it :)
Its good to hear it but the problem is that I have provided the correct temp for them and i'm not feeling good about moving them to a colder place.

I had 2 broody ducks back in Sept. I ordered ducklings thinking I would give them to one of my broodies well the day they arrived I excitedly took them out and tried with one broody [this was after she had been broody almost the length of time she would have sat and duckings would have hatched ]well that broody wanted nothing to do with them so I gathered them up and took them to the next broody nope she didn't want them either so they became mine.

so are you saying you want to bring the mother duck inside where it’s warm so she can be with her babies?
on the contrary I was planning to take the ducklings to their mother but according to the temp it is almost impossible.

If she was never even broody, she's not going to accept babies that are hatched
I had 2 broody ducks back in Sept. I ordered ducklings thinking I would give them to one of my broodies well the day they arrived I excitedly took them out and tried with one broody [this was after she had been broody almost the length of time she would have sat and duckings would have hatched ]well that broody wanted nothing to do with them so I gathered them up and took them to the next broody nope she didn't want them either so they became mine.
As a matter of fact I'm feeling sad for this. Noting can replace their mother and her affection.
Btw, thanks for the help.:)

Back
Top Bottom