Improving English Buff Orpingtons

Guess I should of said heftier looking. So yes fluffier looking.
I would bet mine weigh as much as any well bred American standard orpingtons and do appear bigger.
I've never in person seen other English type as large as mine. The first two black roosters I got were about what mine are now. My first blacks and blues were maybe 3/4th the size.
I have seen a lot of english that weren't as big as I thought they should be but then again I've seen tons of americans that were smaller then they should be too.
Its the same with both types. Imo some are well bred and some are far from it. Some have the size and some don't.
Either way if they're well bred I'd pick English over American. If they're poorly bred I'd pick english over American. If for weight and size appearance I'd pick mine over any American.
Now if we're comparing well bred American against average bred English I would go with American.
If I was showing I'd go with American because that's what the standard here dictates.
That would be my only reason to pick American over English.
In my area I think a well breed American would sell for as much or more than my english. Then again I've never bred for profit so don't know what I could get for mine if I pushed for high dollar.
I know from BYC ad prices I sold chicks for less then most here want for eggs.

8770F157-FA1F-4953-9EA0-E17D5C5B0A1E.jpeg
These Pictures of these buffs I found were from some of the best bloodlines in the UK
DD9AAFF1-F78A-43BE-951C-0C70EACAF7FD.jpeg

My Buff Orpingtons are 15 lbs. for males, and 13 lbs. for females. I have not seen English birds close to that. So if an American bird was heavier and had more size, you still prefer English?

Post a pic of yours.
I haven't seen an American the size of mine. Or at least the appearance of size as mine. Idk what mine weigh or what the bigger americans I've seen weigh.
Lets just say now if you have 15 lb rooster and mine were way smaller like 10 lbs then if probably pic yours. Now if yours are 15 and mine are 13 then probably pick mine because they would probably appear bigger if only a pound or two smaller.
For me its not about weight. But the appearance of being bulky.
Is weight your concern? Or that yours are show birds and judged by the American standard?
Guess I'm now curious why you prefer American so much more?

So same question.
What if mine were a couple pounds over what yours are would you still per fee American over English?

I will have to find a picture. I have some on my camera, not the phone. The only Buff Orpingtons i have now are just under 6 months, and still filling out. I breed with many things in mind. For my dual purpose birds, yes, weight is a factor, though it takes forever in Orpingtons. Since I show, type is a factor also. I prefer the American birds so I can show them, and see how mine compare to others side by side. Also, I prefer actual structure, as I don't eat feathers. If yours were heavier than mine, I would have to select harder, or maybe outcross and have a second line.

Back
Top Bottom