*Imput Needed* Chick Care Sheet

Celtic Hill

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Scotland CT
I have had a lot of time on my hands today because they are doing standardized testing in school and i don't have to do it, YAY for being a Senior. So i started to create a care sheet for chicks. I have read through 17+ pages on the "Raising Baby Chicks" forum here is what i have came up with so far.

Brooding
- The ideal brooder should have sides so it doesn’t allow drafts, It should also be tall enough so when the chicks get older it can still contain them.
- Bedding for a brooder can be pine shavings in bales, but for the first 7 days you want to cover the pine shavings with paper towels so they don’t think the shavings is food. This will also prevent splay footing of the chicks.
- Red bulbs are preferred when brooding this is said to prevent pecking,
- Brooder Temp should be 95 Degrees for the first week then decrease by 5 each week until it’s at room temp.
- Its good to put natural branch roosts 3" from the ground. “Uneven” roosts are better for the chicks to grab on to
- Wood pellets can be used as bedding, or such palletized bedding as Woody Pet
Feeding
- Offer food and water 24/7
- Medicated Chick feed for the first week, then switch to unmediated
- Introduce grit when you start feeding other then Chick feed and Hard boiled eggs

Pasty Butt
- Pasty butt will appear within 1-2 days, to get rid of it take a warm damp towel and hold it to the pasty butt, gently rub it away, this my take a while but it is needs to be done, if not it could be lethal.
- Yogurt will give them the good bacteria they need for their digestive system. That will help solve the diarrhea that is causing pasty butt.

Treats
- Hard boiled egg – Any age
- Helps with Pasty Butt puts the good bacteria into the stomach
- Treats can start at week 2 or 3
- Waxworms can be introduced when they are 2 – 3 weeks old but you must Introduce Grit

Entertainment
- Crickets, The chicks probably wont touch them for the first few minutes, then one of them will get brave enough to try it. Once that happens, all the others will go nuts, and it's Game On ! Wait till 10 days old at the least.

I would love some more input and help creating this list. I want to make and hand it out to the people in ag who are new to chickens and chicks so they have a simple list to follow on chick care. So if you have anything to add just do it in bullet for which is easy to read
big_smile.png
I haven’t organized the flow of the sheet yet but i will once i get all the information! and of course i will supply BYC with a copy!!! This site is awesome and there is sooo much information and knowledge floating around

Thanks Guys! ~Ian

Last edited:
Thanks, i would like to cover the basics. I think this would be great to hang near the brooder for refrence and stuff like that.

Ian, there really isn't much more to cover. You said it right here very good! But I would go into a little more detail over the water like

Water:
- For the first week, add 2 tsp. of sugar to 1 gallon of water. Or 1tsp. of Terramycin to 1 gallon of water.
- For these first 3 days, let the water set out at room temperature and make sure it's not colder than 60 degrees.(Brings body temperature down very quickly)
- Have 1 1 gallon waterer for every 50 chicks.
- Keep it replinshed daily and keep it full
- When they first get here, dip each of thems beaks into the water

Please don't think I am being a know it all and that stuff. I am just trying to help out. But honestly you said it very good. Thanks for the list. I printed 3 out and am going to give them to my 3 friends and bookmark the one on the computer if thats alright. Thanks again!

FF That's exactly what i wanted, input from other people! Thanks i will add it to the sheet!

So i just realized it's Input not Imput! lol

pasty butt is usually caused by the brooder being too warm or the chicks not being able to get out of the heat when they need to. If you have pasty butt on a regular basis, you may want to adjust your brooder set up. you may need a bigger brooder so the heat is on one end, cooler on the other end and food and water in the middle. this allows chicks to get in and out of the heated area as needed.

I know some people put sugar in the water, but I prefer the soluble electrolytes.

If people are trying to stay organic, the medicated chick feed and teramycin are not mandatory. Also, remind people to wash hands before and after handling the chicks, especially if they have adult birds.

Great list so far. When you're done can I use it for a handout myself?

Back
Top Bottom