1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Impy wins a reprieve!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Mar 25, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    DH and I had been talking about culling both of my adult roosters this year. My older roo, Thor, is a sweetheart but he has a chronic leg problem that causes him much pain. My younger roo Impy is only around 10 months old, also a sweetheart, but he's very hard on my hens backs and especially their heads. He just has never seemed to get the hang of mating.

DH was willing to do the deed, as he always has. Then Impy went and got himself in DH's favor.

We were leaving the house the other day and DH opened the gate so I could drive my jeep out. Our three young chicks (Impy's kids) surrounded me the minute I walked out the door, followed me right up to the jeep. They scattered the minute I started the jeep, but immediately returned; fearless little things. I slowly backed up, until DH started yelling at me to watch Impy. Impy didn't like the chicks being so close to the vehicle, so he clearly and deliberately started herding them away from it, one at a time.

DH was so impressed with Impy's concern for the chicks and all the other ways we've witnessed Impy caring for them, that he is now refusing to cull him.

I guess I'm stuck with the booger forever. [​IMG]

2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    [​IMG][​IMG] Sneaky rooster!

3. aprhardy

aprhardy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2010
    Floyd Va
    Awwww how sweet!! A really caring roo and a DH with a soft spot! My bf swears he hates chickens, but he spends as much time as I do holding and petting them as I do. Lol! Silly men! [​IMG]

Congrats to Impy for getting to live! [​IMG]

4. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    LOL... I wish that my Dad had the same soft spot that your DH has! LOL

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Roosters are awesome creatures. Some are suitable only for the dinner table then there are the few who astonish us with their heroics. I had an ugly rooster-not worth spit-but he was an awesome chick sitter. He'd worry and fret over his broody hens. As soon as he heard peeping he'd start bringing food to the hen who wanted no part of him at that moment. Didn't matter. He'd keeping bringing bugs to her. And if a chick ever strayed he was there herding it toward mama hen. So funny to see that hideous face low to the ground as he nudged the newbie in the right direction. I often found him sitting with a hen and chicks, clucking importantly with his distinctive British accent.

Mr. Worthington earned my respect when he launched an attack on a 4 foot black snake. I had no idea what was going on except that there was a sudden squawking which usually meant stray dog attack. Grabbing my gun and racing out to the coop, I found Mr. Worthington doing an amazing imitation of a bird of prey attacking a snake. After a few good pecks, he snatched that thing by the tail and raced toward me with it. I remember the look in his eye as I took the snake away. I remember how his wattles shook with indignation as he crowed his way back to his hens and chicks.

Although the family made fun of my 'British Frankenstein Rooster' of unknown heritage, I knew that feather beast with a tumor-like comb had a heart of a warrior but the soul of an guardian angel. It was an honor to bury him when died of old age.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's such a sweet story! Thanks for sharing it. [​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

When I get older losing my feathers
    many years from now
    will you still be sending me scratch sometime
    hatchday greeting, bottle of wine
    If I'd been crowin till quarter to three
    would you lock the popdoor
    Will you still need me
    Will you still feed me
    When I'm sixty-four

I guess I'm stuck with the booger forever

Yup, I'll be your little booger forever

[​IMG]

I ain't fraid of no axe.​

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

But um, he was going to try out his new M-4 on your pointy little head

Make my day!

[​IMG]

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Gritty!! [​IMG] I thought we had decided quite some time back that IMP could not be culled. We like him around here and would [​IMG] if you took the axe to him. He even has the "Greeter" award.

(Besides he would probably taste terrible. [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by