In all my research never considered

Apr 2, 2020
Hi all! I had researched chicken raising for over a year before getting my first flock three weeks ago. It just occurred to me that I never considered having a rooster in with my hens. After getting my clock of 12 I now have what I think is a rooster who has become very attached to me. He "helps" clean the brooder box by riding the scoop and baby my to ride when I empty it. The dang thing flies to greet me every time I bend over. And now I think she is a he and I too am attached. 😃
Anyway my question is, what do feed a rooster when he gets older being I am now a proud owner of one. He will remain with my hens who should be switched to egg layer. Do they just feed him the same and if not, then how do I keep him out of their food and vice versa? T I A Sandi

The only thing special about layer feed is that it has more calcium than other chicken feeds.

You can let the rooster eat layer feed too--some people say the extra calcium will hurt him, some say it doesn't matter. IF it causes harm, it's a long-term issue, not something you'd notice in a few days or weeks. Some people have had roosters eat layer feed for years and apparently be fine, while others feel strongly that this is not a good idea.

Or feed all of them on Flock Raiser, or All Flock, or even Chick Starter (unmedicated) for their whole lives, with a dish of oyster shell available so the hens can eat it for the calcium. Roosters will typically not eat enough calcium to hurt themselves when it's offered separately, so no need to worry about keeping him away from it.

I also feed everyone an all flock feed, Purina's Flock Raiser. Easy!
I'm concerned with the behaviors you are describing here, especially if it is a cockerel. He's being way too pushy! 'Cute' can easily turn into 'aggressive' in a few months, and you may not realize what's really happening.
Post pictures! Mary

The only thing special about layer feed is that it has more calcium than other chicken feeds.

You can let the rooster eat layer feed too--some people say the extra calcium will hurt him, some say it doesn't matter. IF it causes harm, it's a long-term issue, not something you'd notice in a few days or weeks. Some people have had roosters eat layer feed for years t apparently be fine, while others feel strongly that this is not a good idea.

Or feed all of them on Flock Raiser, or All Flock, or even Chick Starter (unmedicated) for their whole lives, with a dish of oyster shell available so the hens can eat it for the calcium. Roosters will typically not eat enough calcium to hurt themselves when it's offered separately, so no need to worry about keeping him away from it.
I also feed everyone an all flock feed, Purina's Flock Raiser. Easy!
I'm concerned with the behaviors you are describing here, especially if it is a cockerel. He's being way too pushy! 'Cute' can easily turn into 'aggressive' in a few months, and you may not realize what's really happening.
Post pictures! Mary
I think he's playing. He gets off the scoop,and he lets me hold and let him, he also plays well and eats from my hand. I am keeping an out if he becomes aggressive he's no friend of mine trust me. I have raised cockatiel for many years until I left the pair go to a good home. I had gone on the road to be with my then truck driver hubby. He no longer drives and I came home a few years ago.
Thank you for your advise! Appreciate it.😊

You can let the rooster eat layer feed too--some people say the extra calcium will hurt him, some say it doesn't matter. IF it causes harm, it's a long-term issue, not something you'd notice in a few days or weeks. Some people have had roosters eat layer feed for years and apparently be fine, while others feel strongly that this is not a good idea.

Ok thank you. I will order an all flock feed just in case.

Back
Top Bottom