In AZ thinking chicken

ChicKind

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Hi! I have been considering raising chickens for eggs and pets for a while. My daughter in Wyoming has been trying to raise awareness in her town for months now, but still not able to keep just a few hens in her back yard. I was so surprised to hear some of the dis-information and down right hatefulness she has run into in an area I would have thought more aware of the many benefits of having a few hens in the backyard. She has done a lot of research and much educating. I have 6 ac. I have decided it's time to take advantage of the opportunity I have here. I'm still trying to figure out which breed to choose, but will be purchasing 6 this week. I'm thinking Rhode Island Reds, and Wyandotte of some kind. The local grain store had some California Grays. Any experience out there? And what is an "EE"?

Greetings from Kansas, Chickind, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! Good luck in your breeds choices - RIRs and Wyandottes are both great breeds. Good luck to you in your selection!

Hi! I am in Az. also - near phoenix. I have been a little concerned with how hot it gets here. I am going to put in a mister (it will be positioned so that the mist is indirect...), feed not so much "scratch" ( because of the corn you know) and they have shade... I cannot think of anything else I can do to make them comfortable and keep them safe. Do you have any suggestions for me? I would appreciate any wisdom you may have for me.
Raising chickens in this high-heat is probably going to be tough,eh?
Please reply when you can.
Thank you for your time.
For Him and in Him always,
"chisandchicks"

Hi chisandchicks!

I used to live in Phx., but moved to Dewey several years ago. Phx is blazing hot! I'm very new at this myself, so maybe we can learn together. We get a good four seasons here, not the hot and hotter down there, but still hits a 100+ several days. A mister sounds like a good idea. I ordered my chicks today. 5 Golden Comets and 5 Golden Laced Wyandottes. They won't be here till June, though. That's what I get for thinking about this for too long! A least I won't have to worry about keeping them warm :).

Back
Top Bottom