In CT, anyone want to split an order of chicks?

July 6th for the three I want. Holy crap, I checked the shipping and it would be $35 bucks. Is that the norm?

Unfortunetly, yup. Although...I split an order of 116 chicks and the shipping was $40 something. mypetchicken adds heat packs so that may add a bit of cost. What 3 are you looking to get? I'd love a d'Uccle, and maybe a Jersey Giant. Nothing like polar opposites! There are others of course!

Well, the more I looked, the more I wanted, hehe. I had bought 3 red sexlings and 3 amberlinks not completely educated on their "breed". Although I do think I'll be happy with them for egg layers from what I've read. 3 out of the 6 have really come around to me with the 4th on the fence. 2 I would almost be willing to find another home for so I can add more variety of breeds.

To answer your question, I was looking at 1 barred rock, 1 buff orpington, 1 Easter Egger, 1 Light brown Leghorn, 1 Silver laced wyandotte, 1 Buff Brahma. Ofcourse, I'm going to need to narrow this list down because I won't have room for all in my just started 6x6 coop. (tried to convince hubby to do a 8x8, but we couldn't find plans he liked in that size
sad.png
)

How many chickens do you have now and how long have you been raising chicks? Do you not have an incubator for the eggs you want to hatch out yourself? I've seen some pretty reasonably priced.

Oops, just realized that brahma's are bantams. I guess that makes my narrowing down a little easier, hehe. Although I think they are super cute, I just don't think they would work well here for us.

Brahmas are both bantam and standard size and come in a bevy of colors. My chicks now will be 6 weeks on Saturday and we'll be finishing the hen house this weekend, its 8x10. I have 14: 2 australorps, 2 light brahma (coloring also called columbian), 2 partridge cochin, 2 golden penciled wyandotts, 2 golden penciled hamburgs, 2 EEs; also 2 bonus chicks, 1 dark brahma and 1 silver spangled hamburg. I had a 3rd GP hamburg but she had a failure to thrive and passed on at the end of the 2nd week. They really need to be outside as they are getting too big for the brooder they are in (its 3ft sq). My EEs are my largest so far!

These are my first chicks. My sister got me started, she's had hers for a year now. I love them dearly. As far as incubators go, I'd rather let mother nature take care of that. I am impatient for a couple Marans but won't buy an incubator just for that. Hopefully I can buy them as started pullets or wait for one of mine to go broody next year and then get eggs. I've seen bators and autoturners for under $100 together but I'm uncomfortable with them. I don't want to mess with mother nature. For me, if they don't hatch themselves than it wasn't meant to be. I don't want to get into having to rescue a chick from its shell and then be disappointed if it doesn't make it. Mother knows best.

I'd love a couple bantams. Where did you plan on ordering from? I got all my girls from McMurray but they have a 25 chick minimum. mypetchicken.com does not. We could get 5 I think, or 6, just for even numbers!
celebrate.gif

Hello again. I'm sorry, I thought I had mentioned that I wanted to order from mypetchicken. I think the minimum would be 8 because we live more than a 1/2 hour away from the airport. My hubby isn't to happy that I want to order more this way since we are just starting out with them for the first time. If you are serious about ordering, I'll probably get my way, lol. Have you checked to see what the date would be for the chicks you want? Just kinda stinks it's so far away and we'll have to start all over again with new babies, lol, but that's half the fun too I guess.

Yeah, my girls are a little older then 2 weeks old. They have been a lot of fun so far. I'd love to meet you and see your new coop and babies, if you think that could be possible. I also have a daughter who is almost 2 years old and am preggo with #2. My DD love boys to play with, lol. She can be a bit tough and likes to play rough, lol. Well, just an idea, let me know. Ttyl, Shelly

Back
Top Bottom