In-ground pool, will my chickens drown?

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
So I thought I had everything figured out until my huband asked me last night, if chickens drown in pools. Hmmm, the eggs just got shipped and now im afraid they will drown. Anyone know anything about this?

We've got an in-ground pool, and my chickens know its there, so stay pretty much away from it. I would suggest that you keep a close eye on them for a while, just to make sure they "get it". It should be fine. Best of luck to you.
thumbsup.gif
And
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida, Glad you joined us!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
When I lived in Georgia I had 5 acres with a two acre, 10 foot pond, 32 chickens, of all sizes. The only thing I had to worry about drowning was my English Bulldog. They can't swim.
smile.png
The chickens had a field day going to eat mosquitos at the pond, but they never jumped inside or anything. Very sure footed those chickens.
smile.png

My six 12/13 weeks old 'hens' have been free ranging in our back yard since they were four weeks old and have investigated the pool but never tried to go in it. The only thing that's been in our pool was a hedgehog a few weeks ago. It obviously wasn't his time because the day before, the pool got a leak and the water was at the filter level. Somehow the hedgehog managed to get to the filter box and sit on the shelf, paddling his back legs. I saw him there the next morning and hubby rescued him!

Well i feel a little better about my pool, here's to no drowning chickens! When I first moved in back in September, I asked my friend if he thought any animals might get caught in it and die. He said, no because all mammals know how to swim. The very next day I found a dead mouse in it. Then I we kept havng to catch frogs in it that couldn't get out. Then we were cleaning the filter and my friend said, Wow! An albino frog. Nope. It was a very dead, bleached frog from the chlorine tablets. It was pretty traumatic. LOL

Quote:
This happened to me this spring-lost a 2 month old chick in a stock tank. 100% my fault, I knew better than to let that little guy anywhere around water deeper than he could stand up in.
sad.png

Well i feel a little better about my pool, here's to no drowning chickens! When I first moved in back in September, I asked my friend if he thought any animals might get caught in it and die. He said, no because all mammals know how to swim. The very next day I found a dead mouse in it. Then I we kept havng to catch frogs in it that couldn't get out. Then we were cleaning the filter and my friend said, Wow! An albino frog. Nope. It was a very dead, bleached frog from the chlorine tablets. It was pretty traumatic. LOL

Mammals know how to swim but can't swim forever- will get exhausted eventually. We used to have an above ground pool, we'd leave one of those floating foam mattress type things draped over the edge so if a squirrel or something fell in from the tree above he could make his way out.

We have a small pond that the chickens sometimes drink from but never ever go in the water.. I think they know instinctively to stay away. Except for cattle troughs I guess​

Most likely it won't be a problem, BUT it may happen. Over the years I've had a chicken drown in a horse water trough, a muck bucket of water (level was JUST low enough that when she went to drink she fell in and couldn't get out) and a water bucket hanging in a stall. Last summer has some chicks (free ranging with their mama) drown in a 2" water bowl we had sitting at the barn for a lame duck. Overall, though, barely enough to count on one hand over a LONG time period.

Back
Top Bottom