In Montana's Ravalli Valley......

RavalliSurfer

Chirping
Sep 3, 2019
Hamilton, Montana 59840
I'm over 70, and have raised quite a few chickens before, but not at the temps that we get here in Montana. I'm fully retired, love to fish and generally am living a nice life in Montana where if you want to have a million dollars here, you should come with 2 million dollars.

There's not much more to say about me - this is about chickens mostly - ---

My biggest concern is that they stay warm and dry, so I built a coop that stands 4 feet off the ground with walls and floor that are hollow, stuffed with used shopping bags.

The coop is heavy - very heavy - so I don't feel anything less than 100MPH winds can tip it over. I built sled-type skids on the bottom of the coop and I tow it to new grass and different areas every few days. It fertilizes the lawn and the chickens find some living bugs to torment or eat - whatever they want to do with a bug.

Actually --> the winds here have never been very stiff - blustery, more or less.

I don't think the coop can move very well by itself, and even though it has 'sled-like' runners on it, it takes my Quad in 4 LOW and decent throttle to move it when we do move it.

I don't think we'll move it at all in winter.... just shield it from direct snow from the north - from where it usually blows.

We bought Australorp (2) and Aracaunas (2) - for 4 total. We are currently getting 3-4 eggs a day and for my wife and myself, we have more than sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom