In NC (USA) is wire good, or not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I live in Hope Mills, NC (near fayetteville and lumberton if any of you know the area) and am planning my coop.

I was wondering abour having either hardware cloth for one of the sides is conventional or not. It can get up to 100 in the summer and I think the lowest is the teens. I want to have bantams. Currently I have standards. I am looking for something that blends into the yard, if you have any ideas. PLEASE POST PICTURES OF COOPS LIKE THIS. I've seen one in the coop pages, but that's all.

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    sounds about like my area, just make sure they can get outside in shaded dirt and good ventilation in the coop, you dont want frostbite in the winter.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You cant have too much ventilation in Eastern NC, but you need a way to close it up for hurricanes and Winter storms.

If you build a covered run and an enclosed coop, and put roosts in both, the chickens will decide where they are most comfortable and will be well protected.
    NC weather can go from one extreme to the other in 12 hours or less

I'm only about 80 miles East of you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by