in need of a info or supply list for run

eoliverpeck

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
Maryland
We want to expand our run to 15x6x6 made from wood with a door. I have had the hardest time trying to find a supply list or something to take to the hardware store, we are far from carpenters but would like to do this ourselves. does anyone have a list or guide? :) thank you!

I think you might be the one that Bear Foot and I have been having a conversation about how to do this. There are so many different ways you could build it that I can’t come up with a list. I don’t know what tools you have or what materials or techniques you are planning on using.

One thing I suggest is to draw it out, to scale if possible. First an overall look at it, maybe from the side and the end view, but also some close-ups of your connections. Your connections are probably what are going to cause a few extra trips back to the hardware store. That happens to all of us.

A lot of lumber comes in 8’ lengths. If you carefully lay it out, you might find you do a lot less cutting and have less waste and quite likely no additional expense if you build it 8’ x 16’ instead of 15x6. You have to pay attention to out-to-out dimensions versus centerline dimensions though. That’s where sketching up your corners and how they go together can be really important.

I don’t know if you are planning on building your own door or getting an outside door, maybe off Craigslist to save money. I don’t find doors that hard to build but they can be intimidating if you haven’t done it before. One trick is that they generally need diagonal bracing to keep from sagging or warping.

I’d suggest you use screws instead of nails. They are easier to take out if you need to correct something, I think they hold better than nails, and they can be easier and safer to install. I use a drill to drill a small pilot hole when I use screws. That makes them a lot easier to install and it helps keep the wood from splitting. If you are using treated wood, get screws made for treated wood. They’ll last a lot longer.

Since you say you are not carpenters, you might want to go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and look in their catalogue section. They might have a book there that shows you how to do a lot of this stuff. Or even better and less expensive than buying a book, go chat with your librarian. Most public libraries have books that show you how to build doors or build the other stuff or they can get the books for you to check out. Not all librarians are equally good but their job is to help you find that book.

I know this sounds intimidating and yeah, you will make mistakes, but it is something you can do. Good luck with it.

Are you planning on covering the run? If not then a simple fence may be the way to go. Pressure treated 4X4s buried 2ft down (could cement them in too) for your 6ft uprights, stainless or galvanized screws and washers to attach your welded wire, two to three large hinges for the gate that you'd make from pressure treated 2X4s and wire (picture gate with 2 uprights, 3 horizontals and 2 diagonals- from outside corners to middle horizontal on swing side of gate). You'd likely want pressure treated 2x4s top and just off bottom between posts too.

Then there is always building a chain link fence with gate. Cheaper to build than use pre-assembled panels but same idea, metal posts are buried in ground with 6ft fence though those have top cross bar. Fasteners, strechers and caps come with chain link set up. This route you'd talk with person at contractors desk at Home Depot or the like and they'd set you up with all you need.

Last edited:
Quote: Definitely do this.

That's the easiest way to determine how much material you will need, as well as planning the most economical/efficient way to buy it.

As pointed out, it won't cost much more to make it 16 X 8, since those are standard dimensions, and you'll have fewer cuts and less waste.

If you need long lengths and don't have a trailer, most places deliver for a reasonable fee.
I like to buy 12 ft lengths most of the time

Buy MORE screws than you think you'll need, and try to get SQUARE DRIVE rather than Phillips head. Extra driver bits are great to have too, since they wear out and breakk easily

luckily our neighbor who is an engineer and has ALL the required tools we need, said he would help with this project and drew it out so we have a blue print! yay! I also took the advice of everyone who responded (bits and pieces of info from each). Its SO nice to have ppl here who have been doing this for so long for all of us newbies. We were going to do an A frame but then decided against it bc we want a corrugated roof to help with rain water and melting snow flow but overall we have everything we need and I cant wait to make mistakes to learn from this (I know im nuts!!!) All i know is the cost to do this ourselves is MUCH MUCH cheaper then to buy one already made.

Thanks All

Back
Top Bottom