In need of desperate help!

rocknchickenfam-

I second what chickcrack said here about the epsom salts... It does sound like the Corid is working- it does work fast. I noticed an improvement in my flock by the second day. I'm not sure you should be withholding the corrid treatment though... that's kind of iffy. Cocci works VERY fast on a chicken. With my outbreak, last year, it was my mother hen who showed symptoms first, by evening she was lethargic, by morning she was listless and by the afternoon she was dead. It was so quick and I had run out of corid and gone out in the morning to get some but when I came back she has passed. So, I'm not sure you should stop treatment to do the epsom salt thing or not... can both treatments be done together? ... That's what I want to ask chickcrak here- there may be a very important reason and I just don't know about it.

I feel for you because this is how it usually goes down for me- hit mega hard with more than one issue that the one complicates the other.

OH- I did want to ask you too... The blood in the stool... was it as if someone poured a vile of freshly retrieved blood on the poop or is it like you said here where it looks like liver- like poop mixed evenly with something reddish, making it reddish brown? This is important to know because, with mine, it was as if someone poured a vile of blood onto the dropping/poo. That's what the Cocci looked like when I ID'ed it for what it was- well, that and the fact my hen died so quickly.

If I remember correctly, there may have been some droppings where it looked like that liver color you mentioned, but this was after I started treatment with Corid.. so I am not sure if this means its clearing up or what. I don't want to get any hopes up for you though take that with a grain of salt- just squeezing the remnants of memory out of my mind and so I'm bound to get something mixed up from time to time.

I really hope this pans out for you.. Please do post back with results.. this way everyone can learn what worked, what didn't and helps with identification with mention of symptoms

Best wishes... hope your flock is now doing better.

....The two I lost were identical in symptoms. The sick one currently is showing very slow improvements. She is getting droppers of meds so I don't overload her crop. Given (handfed cause not eating) greek yogurt with cultures. Offered watermelon and eggs. Hoping crop goes down. Messaging crop also. Just very confusing
Oh I wanted to mention, the hen that isn't recovering so quickly... you might want to start her on an antibiotic? Which one, I have no idea, but its possible to get secondary infections from what the cocci did to her insides. That's just my guess. The Corid will get rid of the pathogen, but much damage probably has already been done. She can heal as long as something doesn't get infected... so taht is why I suggest that. I really have no idea which antibiotic would be better or how to take it, but figured it might help her recover. If it were me, I'd get some Bayril from my vet to give to her- or whatever my vet sees best to perscribe. Perhaps Duramyacin 10 might be sufficient or a shot of Tylan 50... though that could be stressful. Sorry I don't have exact answers.... just tring to brainstorm a bit with you.

Best wishes

Ive never dealt with cocci (touch wood) so im no expert in that area. From what ive read the medicine blocks thiamine which kills the cocci so im assuming its fine and best to keep on with that treatment. Was just concerned that if their crops werent working well then the meds wouldnt really be absorbed.
Any update on them? Fingers crossed for you!

I did the epson salt treatment. I am still fling both the corid and safeguard. The stool was at first the blood vile over the poo look, then it's the liver look after treatment. She has started to eat a little of the yogurt/mash concoction. Don't want to over do food with her crop being a bit of a balloon still. Some progress I guess. Not confident yet, but there is some progress I guess.

There is an excellent article by Twocrows in the learning center on here about crop issues. Go to learning center then articles and I believe it's the top one. Very worth finding in case you need to try something else. I have used the epsom salts 3 times and within 24 hours it was resolved so if it hasn't gone down in that time you may need to try the yeast infection meds. Keep us posted

You can for sure. I have never had to but I think I had caught the problem early. Just don't know how long you want to wait. It's a good sign she's eating a bit. Read through Twocrows article for alternatives so you have a plan

With bloody stool you have an enteritis going on the cause is of unknown origin but it wont hurt to keep giving the concentrated dropper of corid water. You dont want to give anything that will cause more irritation to the intestines so the greek yogurt and scrambled eggs is a good safe bet. I would keep trying to push giving electrolytes( pedialyte) to keep hydration up. Best of luck!

I'm continuing all treatments. Corid, safeguard and watching her crop. Some progress. Eating more oe her own and pooing more. Never thought I'd be this happy to see chicken poo. She has more energy. Still rests a lot and tail down. She hasn't started drinking on her own yet, but will take a dropper from me. I continue to give her crop messages. I'm thinking I noticed a change in the size this last time. Crossing fingers to see what the morning brings. Thank you everyone for the support and ideas. I have read TwoCrows article and have plan B ready.

Morning update... crop is down! Still not crazy about eating and drinking and seems tired. Going to concentrate on hydrating her with electrolytes. She seems to perk up after I give liquids

Back
Top Bottom