In need of help with run and coop litter help

Wow that is built. I would love to see more photos of your coop and run. Expecially the floors to see how your DLM look, but also the landscape fabric. Now I might have to cover some of my run lol

Landscape fabric is off for the warmer months.

Here is a picture of my litter just this morning...

As you can see, it is deep. The only problem in having too much carbon is that it may take years to break down naturally. With my current statis, my run could easily handle, without any further assistance, all the manure (nitrogen) my birds could produce for at least 3 years, smelling just as fresh as a forest floor...

Proper manure management is essential for every backyard flock.

I add bags of fresh cut grass, bag and all, to assist in the composting process.
I produce 50 to 75 pounds screened compost weekly, with the help of my little biodigesters.

And the results from the "Black Gold" (compost), also taken this morning.

Wow, that is deep!

Chicks came today and I have been working on the roof. Getting that done, now I just need to figure out good ventilation.

We moved the meaties out to the coop this evening. I have fresh wood chips about 5" deep and a layer of dried leaves on top. I need to get more chips for the run tomorrow. Does this seem like a good start to the DLM?

Meaties have been in the coop for almost a week. I must say there is definitely a smell there. I mix it up with a hard rake every other day. Do i need more leaves?

Mix it in more often and deeper.
Do you have good ventilation?
Do they go outside at all?

Might think about feeding fermented....I've read that it reduces poop odors.

I am at about 7 inches now. I have gable vents, soffit vents, 1 window thats open during the day and i leave the pop doors and the people doors open during the day.
They are not going outside yet. I try to get them to and they freak out. Not sure if its the ramps or what.

Back
Top Bottom