In need of plan of attack for possible ear infection

kcan2

Free Ranging
Oct 18, 2019
MI
I was told to start a thread regarding this issue so here goes;

Is there anything I can buy at TSC or over he counter for a possible ear infection? My rooster has been dealing with an issue since last Oct and I have narrowed down the possibilities to a probable ear infection.

Symptoms have persistently been:
  • Stretching neck/yawning
  • Itching/head scratching
  • Shaking head
  • Weight loss (keel bone seems overly prominent)
  • Excessive grooming as if he is trying to get comfortable
  • Lots of water drinking
  • Barely ever crows, or expresses much interest in treats, seems pretty distracted by his ears
He exhibits the first 3 symptoms consistently all day: swallowing, itching, head shaking, often multiple times per minute.

No crop impaction. The other chickens with him have been 100% healthy. This issue began shortly after we moved downstate to a new area with lots of moisture in the soil.

I have treated his ears with peroxide & polysporin and have found evidence of yellow wax granules. No signs of infection or blockage in his mouth or in the opening in back of throat. The external area below his ears might be swollen, but I'm not experienced enough to tell for sure...

I included a video in a previous post and can include that if needed. It just shows vigorous head shaking, scratching, swallowing.

Be it that this is a viral or bacterial infection, what can I get, and how to administer, that will get this thing nipped and gone? Hoping there is something to be had over the counter or at TSC, if possible. Thanks in advance all ye poultry docs, official or otherwise!

20220723_195906.jpg 20220723_195921.jpg 20220723_195943.jpg

Last edited:
You dont want to force the ointment into the ear canal, just enough to fill it and that's all. If you force liquids or ointments, he will continue shaking his head to get rid of it. It's like having water in your ear and shaking your head to get it out. Same for him.

Perfect, thank you!

If you have any expert tips as to how to administer the capsule to the chicken, that would be very helpful. I haven't had much success giving him anything orally.
Cradle him in your forearm and use your finger and thumb to pull straight down on his wattles and his mouth will open. With your free hand, put the capsule in his mouth and quickly let go of the wattles so he can swallow it
If you dont immediately let go of the wattles so he can swallow it, it could go down in his trachea and possibly choke/suffocate.

Also: Perhaps you can open the capsule and put the powder on a treat that he likes. Wet the treat so the powder sticks to it. Be careful that he doesnt offer it to a hen though, roosters are good for that.

Yes. Aquamox treats bacterial infections. Give him one 250mg capsule twice a day for 5 days. It should clear it up. I dont believe it's contagious to other birds, it's just a localized infection.
Excellent job cleaning out his ears. You're right, now you know why he was shaking his head.

Oh, the things we do...
Here I am emptying aqua mox pills into partially hollowed out blueberries, somewhat effectively disguising them as tasty.
Since he is a bantam weighing around 2lbs total, can the dosage be decreased to about 200mg? which is about right considering what I lost onto the paper towel!
20220810_170204.jpg

Oh, the things we do...
Here I am emptying aqua mox pills into partially hollowed out blueberries, somewhat effectively disguising them as tasty.
Since he is a bantam weighing around 2lbs total, can the dosage be decreased to about 200mg? which is about right considering what I lost onto the paper towel!
View attachment 3218591
You have more patience than I do, that's for sure. Too bad they arnt tablets rather than capsules. What a pain in the neck.

Back
Top Bottom