In Need Of Simple Chicken Pens

Shamo Hybrid

Crowing
Jun 6, 2018
OK. My little thugs have grown up to about 2 months old now and they are starting to fight so I need to take on a project by building a few cheap and simple chicken pens to keep them separated, nothing fancy at all just a real simple squared type pens...... anyone have diagrams or perhaps pics so I can go off on? Keep in mind that I'm about as a handyman as Paris Hilton is a brain surgeon.

Here's mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20180128_124055719_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180128_124055719_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
You will likely need solid walls between these cockerels to prevent 'fence fighting' too. There's a reason that fighting bird people have their cock birds on short leashes with dog houses! Yuck!
How many cockerels are you talking about? And are you planning on having pairs or trios in breeding pens?
Mary

OK. My little thugs have grown up to about 2 months old now and they are starting to fight so I need to take on a project by building a few cheap and simple chicken pens to keep them separated, nothing fancy at all just a real simple squared type pens...... anyone have diagrams or perhaps pics so I can go off on? Keep in mind that I'm about as a handyman as Paris Hilton is a brain surgeon.

One of the most simple ones is an A-frame or even a cube sitting on the ground. Later you will want to protect the ground against digging predators but for a few days (or weeks if you are lucky), it can be a good holding spot for some of the chickens.

In a pinch, I was also able to keep a few chickens in a large dog cage for a while until they grew larger and until I got working on their coop! That kind of cage is OK for daytime (most of the time) but for night time, you will want to secure them better.

That cracked me UP!!

Are these male birds or.....?
Even females will fight if crowded.
How many birds total?
What are they housed in now?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely....
....and knowing your climate.
If you don't want us to help to solve the problem or can't build anything,
wire dog crates may be your best bet.

I used a wire dog crate like this to house an amorous drake for about a month.
upload_2018-11-21_9-13-12.jpeg

I flipped it upside down so that there was dirt and grass on the bottom and the poop went into the earth and then the plastic floor became a roof. I had to zip tie the plastic floor/roof in place. I already had the crate and it proved way easier than building something.

Well, I have some wood posts and hardware cloth laying around (big ones, I think 1.75" opening?) so I want to make use of it. I just want something real simple, I suppose I'm having trouble on the actual door and how to implement it, I was thinking maybe a roof door because it seems more simple and would save me some wood because it already acts as a roof for shade instead of using more wood panels to make a front door and adding a roof. Anyway, I plan to build maybe 2 for now and try to divide them according to their personalities so that they can at least get along instead of having 2 or more hotheads with one another..... there are like 8 chicks total. They currently reside in a pretty nice size coop along with adults but one of the adult hen is pecking at them if they get too close to her, which is another reason why I want to get the chicken pens done.

Sounds like a good idea. I, too, would use a kennel... because it's what I have. If you have hardware cloth and wood, I probably make a box with no bottom. I hadn't thought about fence fighting. Maybe just put sonething between them - like cardboard, a roof panel, plywood - or make two pens (if you've got enough materials) far enough apart that they can't get at each other.

Gotta keep them thugs in check, yo.

Back
Top Bottom