1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

In need of some advice!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goldchicks, Apr 14, 2012.

1. goldchicks

goldchicks In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    I need to know if this "coop" is ok for my babies for the mean time? My local hardware store is out of coops and I am getting a quote from a local carpenter for a custom one. My chicks are almost 4 weeks old but are growing like crazy and will out grow their brooder very soon. It is already really hot here so I think they will be alright outside. I do worry about the wind though today we had a wind advisory. Need opinions! :)

[​IMG]

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Songster

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i would put a smallish carboard box in there on it's side w/some hay or pine shavings so they have a comfy place to go to when they need to feel more secure or when the night gets chilly for them.

1 person likes this.
  3. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chirping

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    And maybe a tarp over it for shade/wind protection.

1 person likes this.
  4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

You could also cut up a large cardboard box and use the pieces to enclose one end of your cage so they have shelter from the wind. And I'd keep them in the garage at night!

1 person likes this.
  5. NeTNChknLover

NeTNChknLover In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Kingsport, TN
    I think they would be fine as long as, like it was said already, you put something in there for them to sleep in. I think that would be fine as temporary shelter. If you are going to leave it outside all the time and not put it in the garage maybe you should get a small storage tub, put it on it's side with its top on and cut a hole in the top so they can come in and out of it. Put some hay or pine shavings in it and they will have a cozy and dry place to sleep in the rain [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. JiJis hens

JiJis hens In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    I had mine in a birds cage but inside my house. I suppose if it's warm there ok, but worry if it gets chilly at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by